Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
226 user(s) are online (150 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 5
Guests: 221

Packard Don, BigKev, Ozstatman, Don 37, humanpotatohybrid, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 2 (3)

Re: Hesitation on initial acceleration
Home away from home
Home away from home

55PackardGuy
See User information
Quote:

Owen_Dyneto wrote:
What you have is a universal 10 amp circuit breaker. They are not polarity sensitive so of course there would be no (+) or (-).

No voltage spec, either. So, if it plugs into the holes, it might just work.

Back to the hesitation:

Quote:

Ross wrote:
Stiff and or sticky accelerator in the 51-54 cars is almost always caused by the bracket on the firewall just above the gas pedal mechanism. Originally it was rubber bushed at its lower end and held the cross shaft a good oh, two inches away from the firewall. Over the 60 years the pressure of the return spring has caused it let the cross shaft fall almost back against the firewall which screws up the geometry and also makes the return spring ineffective.

The easiest and quite effective fix for this is to just shove some old shock absorber bushing or other hunk of rubber between the vertical support and the firewall so that the cross shaft moves well away from the firewall. This will restore the geometry and make for a much smoother gas pedal action. Repair time: approx 30 seconds.

Ross,

You were absolutely right about this Not only was the cross shaft against the firewall, but also against a "stop" consisting of a wire that goes vertically along the firewall. Seems like it only compressed the fabric insulation, but I'll keep an eye on it.

Meanwhile, I think I've found a nifty "hunk" of rubber that works well. It's wedge-shaped so I can adjust the thickness, and it fits nicely between the firewall and the crossbar of the linkage. I found all the slop in the linkage was corrected when the rubber held the bracket about an inch from the firewall. I plan to attach the rubber piece to the firewall in that position.

You can probably guess how it's held in place now.

Thanks.

Posted on: 2014/8/3 20:12
Guy

[b]Not an Expert[/
 Top  Print   

« 1 2 (3)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved