Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
104 user(s) are online (81 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 104

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 2 (3)

Re: 1955 Suspension video
Home away from home
Home away from home

Leeedy
See User information
Quote:

Owen_Dyneto wrote:
If you view the 1973 PAC National Meet in Detroit video as available on the PAC website (PAC Club Videos from the menu bar) at just before the 5' mark there is some footage of the cycle car on the Proving Grounds test track; perhaps someone can confirm but I believe that's Allison himself at the wheel. And at about the 13' mark some lead-footed owners doing higher speed laps. What a thrill it must have been to have been there are do laps on the still-intact test track!

Was the facility owned by Ford at that time? Whoever owned it, I can only think what owner's today would require in terms of liability insurance and the like to allow such an event, if at all.

Hello, Since no one apparently answered this question... I was indeed at the PAC National at the PPG in 1973. And I assure you it was Bill Allison himself who was driving the Torsion-Level Cycle Car. I rode in it on the track with Bill as he very graciously invited me to ride with him. I pointed out the bicycle and motorbike parts he used and he was surprised that I recognized these components.

I also rode in a 1956 Caribbean convertible on the banked track at over 100 MPH. I remember looking to the left on a lower lane and a fellow in a Chrysler convertible with Town & Country style faux wood trim was actually passing us!

Posted on: 2016/11/15 10:38
 Top  Print   

« 1 2 (3)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved