Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
213 user(s) are online (122 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 212

Peter Packard, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 2 (3)

Re: Head Gasket on 8 Cyl
Home away from home
Home away from home

Jim McDermaid
See User information
The car seems to have about 50% more power. Considering her size and weight she glides like nothing is touching the ground.

The Ultramatic is smooth as glass.

You turn the key and the engine has started instantly. Before the head job, the Temp Gauge would slowly go up to about 3/4 and then very slowly come down to about 1/2. Now it goes up to about 1/3 slowly, and holds. The temp here in Phoenix has been in the low 50's

I did replace all four tires with the Coker Steel Radial that looks like a Bias Ply from the 50's, Wide white wall. The car looks like a million bucks. These tires are not as fat as the old White Walls that I had on it.

When I drove her home from the shop on the freeway, about 40 miles, the blue preservative was completely washed off the white walls as we were in a blinding rain. The Vacuum wipers worked perfectly (rebuilt wiper motor by "Wiper Man"), Rebuilt windshield washer by "me".

Before the new gasket it was apparently burning a little antifreeze in several cylinders and blowing combustion out the back of #8. I would suspect there was combustion into the cooling system which could account for the temperature variation.

I kept the old head gasket as a memento for forensic research

Jim

Posted on: 2017/2/26 16:26
 Top  Print   

Re: Head Gasket on 8 Cyl
Home away from home
Home away from home

Wesley Boyer
See User information
Jim, don't forget to recheck the head nuts.
Wes

Posted on: 2017/2/26 20:14
 Top  Print   

« 1 2 (3)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved