Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
142 user(s) are online (98 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 142

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 2 (3)

Re: Exhaust heat control valve
Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
I know I saw details somewhere so it must have been in a Service Counselor. In any event, whether hydraulic or not, the lifter body removal does indeed require taking out the cam but the hydraulic insert is separate and lifts out from the top once the valve has been removed.

You're right that the reproductions have a thinner wall (if made the same way as they were when I bought mine decades ago) and they also have rougher un-ground outside diameter but they do seem to work well, especially as the thinner wall means a larger hydraulic cylinder. I don't care for the rough outside but in the end it did not seemed to matter!

Posted on: 2018/4/24 15:52
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Jim Kavanagh
See User information
What type of spring lifter tool did you use. I have the type with the crank on the back which isn't working well for this application.

Posted on: 2018/4/26 13:02
1941 Touring Sedan
1952 250 Convertible
1932 902 Rumble seat Coupe

Who is John Galt?
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
The one I use is the C type which is actually for V8 work but also works well on Packard engines. The one I have is the same one I had in the '60s when I first started on a 1940 110 engine. There are likely types that are preferred for straight eights but I've never used them.

Posted on: 2018/4/26 13:08
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Jim Kavanagh
See User information
Back to fixing my exhaust leak. I am not sure the heat riser is bad, but i have a kit to fix it and everything is apart, so this seems like the time.
It looks like the pin that holds the butterfly must be drilled out in order to disassemble.
The new bushings ID seem smaller that the OD of the butterfly shaft that came with the kit. Do I need to ream these out a little with a drill after I put the new bushings in, or do i have the wring bushings? Everything came from MM, so i assume it is correct.

Posted on: 2018/5/15 1:01
1941 Touring Sedan
1952 250 Convertible
1932 902 Rumble seat Coupe

Who is John Galt?
 Top  Print   

« 1 2 (3)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved