Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
209 user(s) are online (137 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 207

Ozstatman, HH56, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 2 (3) 4 »

Re: valve guide
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Dan kimbro
See User information
Yep..solid lifters

Posted on: 2018/3/25 2:19
1949 deluxe 8
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Dan kimbro
See User information
Yes...valves are the same..nice reproduction..

Posted on: 2018/3/25 9:22
1949 deluxe 8
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
And the seat in question is lower than the others, or not?

And if so, by enough to explain the problem?

And please remember, once you solve the lack of adjustment problem, since you changed the guide, the valve face may no longer be concentric with the seat and you should check the valve-to-seat contact (use Dychem or soft pencil radial lines across the valve face is a good technique), a hand-lapping of the valve at the least or even a power valve seat refacing may be necessary to align the seat with the new centerline of the guide.

Posted on: 2018/3/25 12:44
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Dan kimbro
See User information
Ill let u know how it turns out...I'm just going to lap seat..it looks really good...the old valve was the same way...no adjustment left..I'm not positive this new valve and guide will solve my problem but the old guide was worn out for sure with valve sitting sideways on lifter...I may shave a few thousandths off the stem just to give it some clearance.dont c what it could hurt since I have all the up adjustment on the lifter.and to answer depth with other seats ...I don't have any other valves I'm dealing with right now..all other cylinders were not having issues..just number 1.so I don't have a comparison.i did notice number 8 is the same way looking at the valve train...its bottomed out too..I'm not doing complete valve job...I believe if it ain't broke don't fix it!!

Posted on: 2018/3/25 16:20
1949 deluxe 8
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Dan kimbro
See User information
Ok here's where I'm at on the valve guide job..got it all done..the problem is i can't get the seat lapped good enough...there is a small area of pits on the seat that just will not smooth out..it really needs a lick with a grinder but I don't have the proper stone...does anybody know what size stone and pilot i need?I have an old grinder tool but need proper stone...with the valve closed pouring alcohol on it it seeps through in about ten seconds..the rest hold a good puddle without leakage..would like to get it perfect before putting head back on..any suggestions?thanks all and happy Easter!

Posted on: 2018/3/31 7:39
1949 deluxe 8
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
11/32nd pilot shaft, e.g. B&D 23633 or Van Dorn 16199.

45? stone.

Posted on: 2018/3/31 7:49
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Dan kimbro
See User information
What diameter?I have a 45 stone but its to big.seems not to go deep enough

Posted on: 2018/3/31 7:56
1949 deluxe 8
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Dan kimbro
See User information
Thanks again Owen!

Posted on: 2018/3/31 7:58
1949 deluxe 8
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
The minimum stone diameter needs to be just a tad more than the diameter of the seat, so buy a smaller stone or cut yours down.

Posted on: 2018/3/31 8:00
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Dan kimbro
See User information
Ok..thanks..ill c if I can locate a smaller one...have no way of cutting the one I've got...

Posted on: 2018/3/31 8:04
1949 deluxe 8
 Top  Print   

« 1 2 (3) 4 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved