Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
182 user(s) are online (90 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 180

MissDaisy , humanpotatohybrid, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 2 (3)

Re: Stuck Transmission Gearshift Shaft - 1950 Deluxe
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
That is good news and saves a lot of work.

If you are able to slide the lever up to expose the surface area on the shift tube the lever normally rotates around then I would polish the shaft with some crocus or very fine emery cloth to get rid of any more corrosion or rust.

Use some solvent to clean any abrasive grit from the polishing material off the shaft and then place a thin coat of light grease on the tube and slide the lever back into position so you can install the upper washer and clip.

For future lube I would use regular motor oil in place of the thin viscosity 3 in l. Place a few drops in the hole already in the shaft to take care of the lower lever. Not sure you would need the extra hole if you place a few more drops of oil between the upper washer and top lever so it can run down between the lever and shaft to take care of that area.

Posted on: 2020/8/21 22:43
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Donald Booth
See User information
Many thanks.

Posted on: 2020/8/21 22:51
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Let the ride decide
See User information
FYI

At one of the tech sessions at the Texas Packard Meet, this was discussed, and one of the lubrications mentioned is Marvel Mystery Oil.
https://www.marvelmysteryoil.com

Posted on: 2020/8/22 8:45
 Top  Print   

« 1 2 (3)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved