Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
152 user(s) are online (104 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 5
Guests: 147

Stefanie, bkazmer, William Grosz, Packardbarry, Marvin, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 ... 25 26 27 (28) 29 30 31 ... 40 »

Re: HA's 52 200 Grey Ghost
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hans Ahlness
See User information
Howard, I tried some Krylon "chrome" paint on my turn signal lever which was rusted. It looked, well, silver. Then I tried clearcoating that and it got more dull. So I stripped that all off and tried some "Rust Tough" Krylon, which turned out brighter. So, that's my stopgap for now. I used it also on the trim rings for the gauges. The other chrome parts will get replated some time in the dim future when the car gets painted.

Posted on: 2014/12/9 0:12
1952 Model 200 Deluxe Touring Sedan
HA's 52 Grey Ghost

"The problem with quotes on the internet is you never know if they're true" - Abraham Lincoln
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

58L8134
See User information
Hi

They used to specify bright nickel plating for some parts when I worked at Corning. It looked pretty nice, almost like chrome, not quite as shiny but a nice, reflective surface. Anyone tried it?

Steve

Posted on: 2014/12/9 8:05
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hans Ahlness
See User information
I tested the fuel and water temp gauges using a gas tank sender, and the gauges appear to work fine. While I was tinkering with some other stuff tonight I hooked power up to the clock and let it run, hoping to see how it kept time. It worked fine for about 45 minutes and then the points stuck and started buzzing. I can see that the clock is going to be a decorative item only. I suppose I could pull the clockworks off the back and install a modern clock instead. I'll have to think about that, but I don't really want to screw up the clock hands trying to remove them.

Attach file:

jpg  (52.55 KB)
34001_548a6b3e4ecc4.jpg 816X612 px

jpg  (59.53 KB)
34001_548a6b7259d4e.jpg 816X612 px

Posted on: 2014/12/11 23:13
HA's 52 Grey Ghost

"The problem with quotes on the internet is you never know if they're true" - Abraham Lincoln
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hans Ahlness
See User information
I'm starting to wire up sub-harnesses, and I realized that I cannot identify a switch. There is an extra switch located under the headlight switch, just to the left of the steering column. It connects to the ignition switch, sharing a terminal with the wires that power the carb starter, panel lights, and one of the circuit breakers behind the gauges. Wires out. From this mystery switch are orange and black, going to..... Well, I cut those and I'm not sure where they go.

None of this is shown in the wiring diagram. It is a push-pull switch, momentary (spring loaded back to center). It looks factory, the hole in the dash is down on the curve but there are curved adaptors to make the switch mount straight in the dash. Same kind of knob as on the headlight switch.

Anyone have any clues?

Attach file:

jpg  (60.53 KB)
34001_548bc2550c53d.jpg 612X816 px

jpg  (60.33 KB)
34001_548bc26a7278a.jpg 612X816 px

jpg  (56.38 KB)
34001_548bc27b511d6.jpg 612X816 px

Posted on: 2014/12/12 23:37
HA's 52 Grey Ghost

Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Power antenna.

Posted on: 2014/12/12 23:55
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hans Ahlness
See User information
Nope, don't have the power antenna. BUT, sitting here mentally inventorying the equipment on the car, I think it must be for the spotlight. I'll check out the wires to that tomorrow, but I can't think of anything else that it could be.

Posted on: 2014/12/13 0:02
HA's 52 Grey Ghost

Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hans Ahlness
See User information
On that note, where might I find wiring diagrams for optional items like the spotlight, or the backup lights which I also need to figure out.

Posted on: 2014/12/13 0:04
HA's 52 Grey Ghost

Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
That is the power antenna switch so the car must have had one in the past. It was a fairly common option. Instructions and schematic is on page 7 of the accessory section of SM. Spotlite instructions on page 6 as to where to hook it up but no schematic for that,

Posted on: 2014/12/13 0:15
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hans Ahlness
See User information
Thanks Howard. I can keep that switch on the bench for now since the antenna that is there currently is a basic model, and the spotlight is pretty well disintegrated. I might add a new one later on though.

Posted on: 2014/12/13 0:39
HA's 52 Grey Ghost

Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Charles
See User information
Yes definitely a power antenna switch. They had a habit of rotting out from water getting past the fender grommet. A previous owner must have replaced it with a manual antenna. Maybe you could add a second headlight switch to run the spotlight if you can get it working again.

Posted on: 2014/12/13 22:37
[url=h
 Top  Print   

« 1 ... 25 26 27 (28) 29 30 31 ... 40 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved