Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
246 user(s) are online (158 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 4
Guests: 242

Ozstatman, Tom (Packin31), kevinpackard, Ross, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 2 3 (4)

Re: 56 400 headliner
Home away from home
Home away from home

d c
See User information
I see . I thought yours was already removed . Usually removal of a 50 or 60 year old liner is a waste no time, cut and tear removal due to rot, water stains etc. why do you want to remove it in one piece? Cut a square from the best spot if you want a swatch for later color match or historical ref. after all the screw on trim is removed you still cant get the sides off on these liners without tearing as the " loose end" is inaccessable and the screws for the retainers are behind the streched fabric. That is what makes the sides a clean look. Hard to visualize but the retainers are a round edge on the bottom with teeth facing the inside toward the body and the screws are near the top of these teethed retainers. They get screwd in to the roof rail structure and upon liner install the fabric gets streched down from the rooflone and bows past the retainer bottom lip edge then pushed up between the retainer and car body with a thin non sharp plastic tool and hooked on the teeth. I think some cars that have full chrome window trim may not have this as all is covered and secured behind the trim , as stated above the bow pockets should be secure or there is poss rot in the sheetmetal. All needs to be removed , cleaned and repaired first and the bows and retainerd stripped, teeth dressed, rebent, sharpened , coated with etching primer and painted so there will be no staining or bleed thru latter on . I would have taken pix way back if i had known it was of value to some here. Are there pix on Kevs blog or others who have diy these headliners? Seems this is work rarely performed except by pros.

Posted on: 2015/3/8 7:20
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

d c
See User information
So this second car. What year and model is it? What material Will you be using and from what vendor are you purchasing it? Is there now a 55 - 56 4 door perfect fit presewn liner available ? I think others here would be interested in the info in the future.

Posted on: 2015/3/8 7:29
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

R H
See User information

thanks, in the std trans blog, converted 56 pat to std.

my uncle used to buy chrylsers, i have a 1965 service manual, so i looked inside,

there it was just as you said,,use putty knife ,the 65 chry,

used those strips, too,,,,it has pictures, and explains how to center headliner,

a guy at my my work does auto sewing, so i might get this done ,for price of sewing,, maybe 40 bucks,

there is a site on facebook, the guy has steve williams stock,,and he did have a headliner,,,,but someone bought it.

the headline is falling down,,so i know whats up now,,

not even going to remove trim,,, just use razor blade and cut it out,

want to keep intack so the guy can see what i need,

thanks,,

just drained oil, anti freeze came out,,,with the lumps of oil,,,,i planed on taking pan off...

going to pour diesel fuel down intake and let that sit,,try to fill up cyl..,,soak it be fore trying to turn engine.

Posted on: 2015/3/8 14:56
Riki
 Top  Print   

« 1 2 3 (4)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved