Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
211 user(s) are online (123 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 211

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 2 3 (4) 5 »

Re: Goddess of speed
Home away from home
Home away from home

bkazmer
See User information
I've seen the "gunsight" one used on mid thirties Dietrich. I'm surprised Packard didn't go after Buick postwar for infringement

Posted on: 2017/7/25 11:48
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
I'm surprised Packard didn't go after Buick postwar for infringement

Possibly because the patent was assigned to Stewart Diecasting Corp. Packard probably either had some sort of short term licensing agreement with Stewart, or just bought the finished items from them. I don't know what happened to Stewart eventually, perhaps they were a victim of the Depression and therefore Buick was free to use the design. In any case even in Stewart survived I believe the patent would have expired in the early 1950s.

Posted on: 2017/7/25 12:16
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Craig the Clipper Man
See User information
What did Packard call the kid sitting on the radiator cap?

Posted on: 2017/7/25 13:14
You can make a lot of really neat things from the parts left over after you rebuild your engine ...
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Daphne at the Well, or common slang "sliding boy", but properly it was the Adonis.

Back up 1 page in this same thread and you'll find it pix and design patent (post #24).

Posted on: 2017/7/25 14:23
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Craig the Clipper Man
See User information
I don't believe Packard must have used Adonis or Daphne for very long. I have not seen very many cars using that particular mascot, and those were all from the late 1920s.

Maybe they had a problem with the character's tush getting toasted and he or she just slid right off!

Posted on: 2017/7/26 11:00
You can make a lot of really neat things from the parts left over after you rebuild your engine ...
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
According to several sources, Adonis (Daphne) was offered from the 6th thru the 9th Series only. And it was priced at a premium over the Goddess.

Posted on: 2017/7/26 11:07
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Craig the Clipper Man
See User information
I think it would be interesting to find out about the origins -- and the name -- of the hood ornament used on 1955 and 1956 Clippers. Wherever I go, that ornament always attracts a lot of attention.

Posted on: 2017/7/26 11:18
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Wesley Boyer
See User information
I find it some what strange that the outstretched arms of a hood ornament would be cause for safety. Especially when one sees some of the things going down the road today.
Wes

Attach file:

jpg  (35.24 KB)
1003_597b1edd7c43d.jpg 540X540 px

Posted on: 2017/7/28 6:24
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

BDC
See User information
Wes, they're grand-fathered in from the Egyptians

Mercedes couldn't have an upright star on the hood for several years in Europe while the same models in the US still had them. It's all about pedestrian safety. The wheel nuts are not much of a safety issue for pedestrians.

Posted on: 2017/7/28 8:36
I can explain it to you but I can't understand it for you

Bad company corrupts good character!

Farming: the art of losing money while working 100 hours a week to feed people who think you are trying to kill them
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Craig the Clipper Man
See User information
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think a pedestrian staring down a car barreling at him at 60 mph would have a lot more to be concerned about than getting scratched by a hood ornament!

Posted on: 2017/7/28 13:52
 Top  Print   

« 1 2 3 (4) 5 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved