Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
253 user(s) are online (169 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 253

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 2 3 (4)

Re: 55 Electrics
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Quote:
Everything worked fine and less than an hours work. No problem with suspension and no problem with radio.

99.9% of the time this is the case with a stock car. The issue arises when solid state conversions or replacements are installed. Radio vibrators, rectifier tubes, TL control boxes and the like. Some are universal like the ad for vibrator replacement from P.N.R states, but other suppliers have different part numbers for pos or neg ground and apparently are not. I don't see a mention on P.N.R.'s news bulletin ad whether the TL box is universal or not-- hence the question or caution.

Posted on: 2009/7/18 9:32
 Top  Print   

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

PJ
See User information
Guys, my mechanic got the leveler going with all of your great input. He tells me that I need to replace
the torsion cut off switch under the left side of the dashboard and also the stoplight switch under the battery
on the left frame member. Does anyone have a suggested part supplier source for these items? Snopack, above,
indicated to me that he sells the adapter for the stoplight switch.

Posted on: 2009/7/18 18:53
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
I bought the on/off switch from Joel Ray at Patrician Industries (packards1@aol.com) and Max Merritt also has themhttp://www.maxmerrittauto.com/. In addition to the brake switch kit from snopak, there are other options mentioned in this thread if you want some.https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?post_id=16993#forumpost16993

Attach file:

jpg  (8.76 KB)
209_4a62637abc748.jpg 1050X82 px

Posted on: 2009/7/18 19:06
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Eric Boyle
See User information
The t/l underdash switch is the same as the heater switch on '54 and back cars. You can usually find these cheaper than the supposed "torsion level" switch. It's a scam to charge you more for the same part.

Posted on: 2009/7/18 19:53
 Top  Print   

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

PJ
See User information
Is there a battery supplied by current suppliers which is configured and looks like the batteries that Packard supplied on new 1955-56 Packards. My mechanic is not happy with the look of the Interstate battery he purchased for my car and would like to return it to the supplier. He says that a battery is available which looks like the original.

Posted on: 2009/7/19 13:04
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
There are some boutique manufacturers which reproduce the original logo batteries but some of those have gotten pretty much universal bad reviews for short life from several members here, myself included. Here is one such company but I don't recall if I bought theirs or know if this is one of those reviewed by others.http://www.antiqueautobattery.com/

There is another option that might suit your purpose. The false cases for the Optima batteries are carried herehttp://www.tartopper.com/ and by several of the various club regions. When installed in car, they look very authentic. I have Optima batteries both in my 56 and modern car & so far have been very satisfied.

Also, some members report painting the modern batteries all black which disguises them fairly well.

Posted on: 2009/7/19 13:17
 Top  Print   

« 1 2 3 (4)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved