Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
198 user(s) are online (134 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 197

Packard Don, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 2 3 (4) 5 »

Re: Lets Start Planning for Warren
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

BH
See User information
The weather's not been very good around here lately - not so much a problem of high heat as it has been humidity (even when it's not been raining).

Thankfully, the forecast for the week ahead looks to be a bit cooler than last week, with clear skies through Saturday. Of course, a lot could change between now and then, but I'll check the reports and try to post news of any drastic changes.

I'm still backed up with too much work, but look forward to a break from it all at Warren.

Posted on: 2008/7/12 21:55
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard53
See User information
Brian: What is the weather report for Warren for Saturday?

John F. Shireman

Posted on: 2008/7/16 19:29
REMEMBERING BRAD BERRY MY PACKARD TEACHER
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

BH
See User information
The relief from the hazy, hot, humid weather was only good for a couple of days. It's supposed to be 90+ for the next couple of days, but mid-80s for Saturday. Rain looks to be holding off until Sunday.

Posted on: 2008/7/16 21:13
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Randy Berger
See User information
I had a scare today. The 400 (Best Other) has been acting odd lately. It died last Thursday as I made a left turn, but started right away. It has quit running for a brief second every once in a while, almost like it hiccoughed. It seemd like an electrical problem but was elusive. Well, it wasn't elusive today - it just died in a gas station parking lot. It didn't take long to determine that either the coil or the condensor had failed. I went home and got one of my spare condensors. Installing it was a problem because that engine compartment is HOT. Friend and mechanic Barry stuck around till I finally got it all back together. Fired right up and running smooth. I have to add a condensor back into the stash and carry that parts box with me as planned. I also need to add the small set of ignition wrenches, etc. 11/32 is not a wrench I normally carry I noticed later my arm was burned, probably from the intake manifold. The dwell is a little high (32.5) but there will be time enough after Warren to file the points and reset them.
Brian, if you think about it and it's convenient, bring the spark plug cable carrier. Looking forward to see all of those who can make it.

Posted on: 2008/7/16 21:47
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

BH
See User information
Randy -

Hope your arm heals quickly. Be advised that there are knit sleeves available, nowadays, from parts stores that are made from a material that will keep your arm and hand from getting burned. (The Lisle brand comes to mind.) That might be something to add to the road kit as well.

In a pinch, I believe you can run without a condenser (or simply disconnect/remove the wire), though it's hard on the points. If the condensor shorted through, you're lucky the points hadn't burned through. You might wanna check and replace those, too, before the trip to Warren.

Just be glad you didn't experience such a thing in a late model vehicle - most cases like that require towing to a dealer. (I'm embarrased at how many GM vehicles have to be towed into the dealerships I've worked at in recent years).

Posted on: 2008/7/16 22:48
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard53
See User information
It looks like it is going to be a hot day in Warren on Saturday, with little chance of rain.

This will be the second un-official yearly meeting of Packardinfo.com people. I am looking forward to meeting all that will be there. When you see Randy Berger's 1956 Packard, you will be seeing one of the best.

When I get back Saturday night, will post some pictures and give a report.

John F. Shireman

Posted on: 2008/7/18 14:59
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard53
See User information
Just got back from Warren, a good time was had by all. I took over 200 picture but I am having trouble uploading the pictures from today.

I will burn a cd on Sunday and send the pictures to Big Kev to post.

John F. Shireman

Posted on: 2008/7/19 19:13
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Mr.Pushbutton
See User information
Did it rain there John?

Posted on: 2008/7/19 20:11
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

BH
See User information
Mr. Pushbutton -

Although the skies were overcast when I got up, making me wonder if rain was imminent, the gods favored us for the day. By the time I got to Warren, it had become a mix of clouds and sun, which helped keep temps down and a gentle breeze up for most of the day. It was pretty darned hot and humid by 2PM, though. Rain only came later that evening, and it poured here, back in PA.

Since none of my Packards are roadworthy at present, I brought the next best thing - my dad, a former Packard dealership mechanic. Randy Berger found a nice place in the shade to park and provided refreshments, and several other P'Info members showed up throughout the day.

Of course, John Shireman (Packard53) and his grandson were there, and Donny sure knows his cars. While he's clearly at that age where fast cars and women have caught his attention (Donny, that is), I bet he'll end up with a fine Packard someday. Then, packard0820 from VA, stopped by to say "Hi", and acolds from Pittsburgh sat with us for a good while.

34PackardRoadsta made it "on the way home" from MN with his recently restored 1934 Super Eight Coupe Roadster. Of course, his car won the long distance award, but it also won the Ted Hirt award. I'll leave it up to Tom to tell you more about that when he's ready.

BTW, Randy's '56 Four Hundred won Honorable Mention in a 1951-1958 category - second only to a nicely restored '54 Caribbean.

While attendance was down, I chalk that up more to the price of fuel as any perceived threat of rain, but there was no shortage of interesting vehicles to see.

Yet, as a fan of concept cars, my personal favorite was not a production Packard or even a complete car. Dennis Heitzenrater, of Punxsutawney, PA brought a rolling chassis - a recreation of the all-new chassis that Detroit engineers had been working on for 1957. Dennis is the fella who recreated "Black Bess" several years ago, and his goal is to build a complete 1957 Four Hundred. Dennis is not yet a member of P'Info, but I gave him a biz card with the URL and invited him to tell us more here.

All in all, it was another great meet, and I'm sure other attendees will chime in on this.

Posted on: 2008/7/20 9:03
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Randy Berger
See User information
Warren came and went too fast. I drove up on Friday and went to the dinner Friday night with a good group who were kind enough to invite me to sit at their table. I got to see Tom Wilcox gorgeous 34 up close and personal. Tom and his wife stopped by to say hello to the P'info group lounging behind my 400. Ed and Bonnie Franko stopped by Friday to say Hi to Mr. Gering and I who were just talking Packard on the front lawn of the museum. Two newly acquired "twin" 56 Caribbeans are on display from Steve's Packards in California. I never did hear the complete story of his death. If anyone knows all the facts, start a thread and let us know the whole story. I missed the Detroit contingent and hope they make it next year.
Here's a pic of the latest Caribbean convertible in the museum, one of Tom Wilcox and his gorgeous 34 - that's Tom in the blue shirt, and a shot of Bob Gibb's 56 Clipper and my 400. A good pair to draw to. Note the PACKARDINFO Tshirt displayed from the hood of my 400.
BH and Dad, Shireman and grandson, Al kish and I sat in the shade and enjoyed the Packard parade. Damn near fell asleep driving home.
Almost forgot, Al Kish pointed out the difference between 56 Packard and Clipper wiper arms. Since Bob Gibbs was parked right next to me, Al looked and pointed out that the Clipper used an arm extension that was held to the main arm by two rivets. The Packard arm is all one piece and presents a much more aerodynamic appearance.

Attach file:

jpg  (31.14 KB)
23_4883631891467.jpg 800X600 px

jpg  (84.85 KB)
23_488363b95a38f.jpg 800X600 px

jpg  (72.22 KB)
23_4883651d8077f.jpg 800X600 px

Posted on: 2008/7/20 11:13
 Top  Print   

« 1 2 3 (4) 5 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved