Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
247 user(s) are online (139 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 245

moodydavid16, Packard Don, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 2 3 4 (5) 6 7 8 ... 19 »

Re: Bendix -Treadle Vac - Failure and Fix
Home away from home
Home away from home

Eric Boyle
See User information
And the valve itself:

Attach file:

jpg  (186.71 KB)
34_4ca9f97b35707.jpg 1600X1200 px

Posted on: 2010/10/4 10:57
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
Many thanks for the pics Eric. The BTV mystery deepens even more.

Posted on: 2010/10/4 11:02
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7245
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
ok. If we assume that the kit gasket which resembles Erics gasket IS correct then there is no way for fluid to pass from the reservoir into the 'relief port".

That leaves ONE, exactly one and only one function of the port:

The port is filled with brake fluid AT THE TIME of assembly to act as a 'life time' lubricant for the plunger seal.

Wonder if there is a wick in the 55-56 BTV relief ports" ????

Posted on: 2010/10/4 11:06
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Eric Boyle
See User information
Your very welcome Keith.

I find it interesting that that port exists at all. I don't see what use it would be if it's blocked off by the gasket, or how fluid could get into it. But it sure was in mine, I cleaned a little out with a small phillips screwdriver, it was like cleaning earwax out of grandpa's ear!

I also find it interesting that the '54 and earlier ones don't have it, or at least the gasket doesn't cover it. I'd like to see one with the cover pulled off to verify it's existence or non-existence.

I DO know that if the spring on the compensator is weak or breaks, show's over. This has got to be the stupidest design for a brake setup I've ever seen.

Posted on: 2010/10/4 11:09
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Eric Boyle
See User information
Quote:
ok. If we assume that the kit gasket which resembles Erics gasket IS correct then there is no way for fluid to pass from the reservoir into the 'relief port".

That leaves ONE, exactly one and only one function of the port:

The port is filled with brake fluid AT THE TIME of assembly to act as a 'life time' lubricant for the plunger seal.

Wonder if there is a wick in the 55-56 BTV relief ports" ????

There's no wick in mine, or at least no sign of one anymore. I highly doubt that it was for lifetime lubrication either. I went back out and looked it over to see if there was a small port in the front or side of it at fluid level to allow any fluid to go into it and there's nothing, it's totally sealed when the gasket is on.

I still would like to meet the engineer who decided that a movable compensator port to contain braking pressure was a good idea! Just another reason to despise engineers!!!!

Posted on: 2010/10/4 11:15
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Even sealed, I wonder how long fluid would last or retain lubricating powers.

According to Chilton, other mfgs using the poppet valve type BTV were by mfg listing, (not all models), years used noted:
Cadillac: 56 and 58
Chev, Corvette: 55-56
Lincoln & Continental: 54-59
Mercury: 54-56
Olds: 56
Pontiac: 54-56
Rambler: 56

So if anyone has access to one of those, would sure be nice to have pictures and any noticeable difference in cover such as a vent hole in that area.

They do show the port in pictures in Chilton and Motors but not enough details on the cover. One almost looks like there is a channel stamped in but not good enough view to say for sure.

Posted on: 2010/10/4 11:15
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
That valve looks like the valves in the kits pictured above much more than it looks like mine. So what is mine??? The car mine came from sat untouched since 1980 before Al K delivered it too me 10 years ago.

The mystery deepens. Anyone else have a compensator port stem that looks like mine or of the pics in the PMCC schematics????

Posted on: 2010/10/4 11:21
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Eric Boyle
See User information
In reading the BTV rebuild manual that's uploaded to this site I came across these words pointing to the port in question:

Quote:
IMPORTANT-This hole allows any fluid that leaks part (past) the inner seal to return to the reservoir. Be certain that it's not plugged or covered.

Ok, later on, on page 14, it says this:

Quote:
The gasket should not cover this hole, cut the gasket to clear the hole if it does.

Written by Ross Miller, who seems to know a hell of a lot more about the BTV than the rest of us.

BUT....

Why does my original BTV unit have the hole covered by the gasket in question?????

Where the hell you at Ross????

Posted on: 2010/10/4 11:30
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Quote:
Why does my original BTV unit have the hole covered by the gasket in question?????

Even more as to a complete unit purchase or whether they had a huge separate stock of earlier covers, made them in house or had a vendor that was never changed and in all the confusion, this was never noticed or corrected.

Posted on: 2010/10/4 11:35
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
T'packamn write:
"I DO know that if the spring on the compensator is weak or breaks, show's over. This has got to be the stupidest design for a brake setup I've ever seen."

YES! yes. Precisely the point to the BTV's downside.

As for other manufacturers that used the BTV we must note that most of them were mounted HIGH on the firewall AND USED a LEVERAGED brake pedal system NOT 1:1 as the Packards used.

THis leads me to conjecture that the other mfg'ers used internal piston and cup (actual 1 inch) rather than plunger and compensator port valve. They would HAVE to use 1" due to the leveraged pedal arrangement.

Posted on: 2010/10/4 11:36
 Top  Print   

« 1 2 3 4 (5) 6 7 8 ... 19 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved