Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
211 user(s) are online (117 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 210

kevinpackard, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 ... 23 24 25 (26) 27 28 29 ... 45 »

Re: 51Packards....52 Packard 200 Deluxe!
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
I could be wrong and if so, someone please correct this post but I don't believe the xref is correct in the listings that says a particular hose fits 48-53. The 47 has 1/4 brake tubing and I think that was the case thru 50. I believe in 51 it changed to 3/16 and was that way thru 56.

Posted on: 2016/6/12 12:52
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Charles
See User information
I would say you are right. My '51 had 3/16" lines. I checked some of the other hoses listed in the part reference and some more have 7/16" fittings as well as some from Napa with 3/8" fittings.

I removed my drivers side front hose and the end broke off in the wheel cylinder so I am ordering both front wheel cylinders. The ones I ordered have 3/8" inlet fittings so if I get the brake hoses from Napa, that would be a couple of adapters that I will not have to hunt for.

Posted on: 2016/6/12 16:06
[url=h
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Charles
See User information
6-15-16

Got the wheel cylinders in. I have hunted and hunted and cannot find a 3/16" male to 3/8" female adapter for the rear junction block. Looks like I will have to make my own with 2 fittings and a short piece of brake line. Not ideal, but I guess it will work and I am running out of options. The rest of the brake hoses will get 3/8" fittings on the hard lines. I'm surprised I'm the only one who seems to be having problems with this! I'm probably doing something wrong.

For the rear axle nut I couldn't find a washer the right size but a machine bushing that is just a little smaller width. Came with 2 in the bag so I should be able to use 1 or 2 to get the nut castles in the right spot for the cotter pin per "Owens" awesome suggestion!

Posted on: 2016/6/15 18:27
[url=h
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
I am not following what you need to do in needing a 3/16 to 3/8 adapter. From where to where or what to what?

Posted on: 2016/6/15 19:17
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

BDeB
See User information
Quote:

51Packard wrote:
6-15-16

Got the wheel cylinders in. I have hunted and hunted and cannot find a 3/16" male to 3/8" female adapter for the rear junction block. Looks like I will have to make my own with 2 fittings and a short piece of brake line. Not ideal, but I guess it will work and I am running out of options. The rest of the brake hoses will get 3/8" fittings on the hard lines. I'm surprised I'm the only one who seems to be having problems with this! I'm probably doing something wrong.

From what I understand, your problem is trying to adapt the rubber hoses with the 7/16" male threaded ends to the front wheel cylinders and the rear axle junction block. These are the wrong hoses for your 1952.
I don't have a modern listing but the original equipment hose for all 3 locations was a Wagner FC8699 which has 3/8 male threads on one end and female inverted flare connection with 3/8" threads on the other end. Length 16-13/16"
You may be able to find a modern cross reference from this original number.
Another possibility would be to use a slightly longer hose. Wagner FC11191 was 17-5/16" long and used for 1949-51 and possibly newer Ford trucks.
The Wagner information is from a 1951 catalog.

Posted on: 2016/6/15 19:29
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Charles
See User information
Thank you BDEB that is exactly my problem. The cross reference for Auto zone on this site has the wrong hose. I found a Napa number with 3/8 fittings that should match up to the Wagner number you posted. I was conjuring an elaborate series of adapters to get my pre-made lines to fit. Obviously you have confirmed I have the wrong hoses. Thanks!

Posted on: 2016/6/17 21:03
[url=h
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Charles
See User information
6-22-16

Finally got the Napa brake hoses in and they work great! We need to update the XReference with a warning about the fitting sizes. I went through a lot of the hoses listed and most were 7/16".

I bought front wheel cylinders from Autozone. I asked for both sides. Put in the drivers side...no problem. Went to put in the drivers side...OOPS! Got two of the same cylinders. Went to exchange it only to find they only carry the drivers side! WTF!

Looked online and found Napa had the passenger side in stock but not the drivers side! It's like it was meant to be!

Installed the passenger side today. Noticed a lot of grease on the axle. Maybe my grease seal is bad or the previous owner was aggressive with greasing the bearings? Not sure so I cleaned it up and will monitor it.

When I returned the wheel cylinder at Autozone and picked up a proper brake spoon...so much better than a screw driver!

More lines to make but at least I'm making progress.

Posted on: 2016/6/23 18:42
[url=h
 Top  Print   

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

jimjr51
See User information
Hello 51 Packard:
I'm new to the Packard club, and not real computer savy but enjoy all the blogs in the forums, especially the project blogs. Thank you for posting your pictures and the hurdles you are overcoming. All I have at the moment is a 1954 Packard 327 and 3 speed manual tranny, the rest of the Packard was scrapped because of rust and a broken frame some 25 years ago I am told. I noticed you are from Racine, Wisc. I lived there for the first 19 years of my life, but moved to La Crosse, Wisc. in 1971. Now retired and enjoying life in Minnesota....LOL.
Good luck in your builds, I look forward to viewing your blogs and pictures.
Good luck,
Jim

Posted on: 2016/6/25 4:52
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Charles
See User information
Hi Jim,
Thanks for reading my blog! Racine, but actually Wind Point / Caledonia is more accurate to where I live. The car has been a challenge, but not like the '51 I had before "blog also available on this ste". I'm regretting cutting it up. Maybe someone would have made a hot rod out of it or used the frame like you did. I'm hoping to drive the '52 again this weekend again!

Posted on: 2016/6/27 19:13
[url=h
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Charles
See User information
6-27-16

Finally finished the brake lines. The passenger side brake line had a rubber hose on it so I recreated it that way. No problems except in my haste to get the job done I single flared instead of double flared the line! Got that fixed and finished the rear line. Now I have to bleed the brakes and adjust them. As long as the master cylinder is still good I hope to be driving by this weekend!

Posted on: 2016/6/27 19:22
[url=h
 Top  Print   

« 1 ... 23 24 25 (26) 27 28 29 ... 45 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved