Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
224 user(s) are online (127 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 223

bullsh--ter, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Pre 50 Rear underseat heater
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Anyone know or care to speculate on how or where they installed the heaters under the rear seat. This limo shows the grills and control so one would assume a heater is present.

Reason I'm asking is space. Heaters are large and the springs and frame on regular seats almost completely fill the space all the way to the floor. Assume a limos would too -- or did those seats use zigzag springs instead of the individual coils Customs used. What I can't tell from the photo is if the seat is raised or if the hump in the middle is as high as regular cars.

Since the AC return air came from below i am trying to decide whether to raise the seat for my return air path as Packard apparently did or add some considerably smaller and more discreet grills between the chrome strips. I kind of like the grill idea but it would mean figuring out a roundabout path for the flow.

Attach file:

jpg  (71.96 KB)
209_5405eddb06511.jpg 1024X768 px

Posted on: 2014/9/2 11:18
Howard
 Top  Print   

Re: Pre 50 Rear underseat heater
Home away from home
Home away from home

bkazmer
See User information
on my 41 it fits into hole in the floor under the passenger front seat.

I'm puzzled by your AC return comment - didn't Packard stop offering AC after '42 until it was fitted to the highpockets body?

Posted on: 2014/9/2 14:00
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Quote:

bkazmer wrote:
on my 41 it fits into hole in the floor under the passenger front seat.

I'm puzzled by your AC return comment - didn't Packard stop offering AC after '42 until it was fitted to the highpockets body?

Mine also has the heater under the front seat with just the motor going thru the floor and heater core above but there is a fair amount of space under that seat. There were optional heaters for the 42-50 Clipper style limo bodies. One option has a heater in the divider partition and another option has it under the rear seat as the car in the photo shows.. I'm not planning to add a heater but with the AC question, was also curious about the heater under the seat because the space appears so tight and coil springs are almost on the floor. I suppose it is possible it sticks under the floor but was curious how or where and how the air was circulated.

You are correct about the Packard supplied postwar AC not being available again until 53. I am making a custom job for my 47 integrating a modern unit into a reproduction prewar looking case. Trying wherever possible to duplicate the 42 Clipper application as if Packard had continued to offer the option.

That is why the return air under the seat question. While there will be other ducting changes for comfort, I am trying for that part to be as if Packard might have done it. Without ever seeing one or any detailed info, everything is a question or a guess. I don't want to permanently modify the car either so some needed compromises on function or looks are bound to happen. On those am trying for as few or as tastefully done as possible.

Posted on: 2014/9/2 14:42
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

BDC
See User information
JW, the above post of Howard was number 10,000! (I counted the 9999 previous posts LOL )

Posted on: 2014/9/3 11:31
I can explain it to you but I can't understand it for you

Bad company corrupts good character!

Farming: the art of losing money while working 100 hours a week to feed people who think you are trying to kill them
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved