Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
224 user(s) are online (127 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 224

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

I'm new, and looking for advice on a purchase
Just popping in
Just popping in

GDat210
See User information
I'm a 16 year old teenager looking for a cool project to ride around in. I had been looking for Fords and Chevrolets, but ran across this Packard in Louisiana.
here's what I have to ask:
1. is the price fair?
2. how much work would it potentially be to get the straight 8 to run?
3. is this the Packard 200?
4. How hard would a V8 SBC swap be? part availability & price is the biggest factor in why I want to swap it.
thanks for any advice and help, in advance. Here's the link to the ad.http://batonrouge.craigslist.org/cto/4644638447.html

Posted on: 2014/9/28 20:06
 Top  Print   

Re: I'm new, and looking for advice on a purchase
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
It is a 200 but IMO, that looks to be quite a project and maybe not the best for your first -- unless you are very talented or have a good support group close by. Hard to say what it would take to make it run. A lot depends on how and why it was parked. If it was just driven there and hasn't moved since it might run with some basic work but also could get expensive. If it was parked for a reason you need to find out why or what quit.

Can't see details too well so maybe only flat tires but it appears to be sitting very close to the ground. I would wonder why it is so low and if there is a lot of rust in the frame or if the floor pans or other rust prone areas are totally gone.

As an aside, I was your age and driving a 51 400 in high school. Back then it was just an old car and definitely not one any self respecting teenager would covet what with Fords and Chevys being the norm where I grew up. Today it would be unique to say the least so you might gather a following. The ad says it is an automatic. Packards Ultramatic is not a performance transmission but rather one designed for smoothness. Leisurely acceleration is an apt description of the movement leaving a stop sign. I will say that in spite of the typical teenage tortures given that poor car -- and believe me, I was not kind to it -- it never made me walk home.

Posted on: 2014/9/28 20:23
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

David Grubbs
See User information
I have a 51 200 at present, and have had at least one Packard most of my life. When I was in high school, back in 1963, I had a 53 300. The Packards are nice cars, and are lots of fun. I drove my 53 in high school because it wasn't a Ford or Chevy, and I wanted to be different so I can understand your feelings

Having said that, Chevy's and Fords are much easier to get parts for, and have . a larger support base. Putting a small block Chevy in the Packard is painful to your wallet. I looked into it a few years ago with my 51 - I got estimates from $5000 to $8000. I don't know what your financial situation is, but if you can find a running car you are almost always ahead of buying a cheap car and trying to fix it up. I don't know many people who were able to find a non running car, especially one that has sat for 30 years, be able to get it running reliably for much under $2000. Engines that have sat for many years, especially in humid climates, tend to rust internally, freezing things together. And like another poster suggested, rust and rot in the body and worse yet in the frame are highly likely.

I would recommend watching this website for a better car. We need more and younger Packard enthusiasts around, and this car would probably ruin your opinion of Packards.

Someone have a decent running car close to Baton Rouge they would sell this young man???

Posted on: 2014/9/28 20:55
 Top  Print   

Just popping in
Just popping in

GDat210
See User information
Thanks for the quick reply! Yeah, I don't mind rust. I have access to plenty of people with body work experience. I'm actually just going with a "sleeper" kind of thing. A rusted out car isn't an issue as long as the floorboards, roof and frame are good. I'm aware that I wont get performance out of the Packard engine, trans, etc. but if I could make it run and just drive it around town as it sits for now, I would be happy with that. again, thanks for your insight!

Posted on: 2014/9/28 20:56
 Top  Print   

Just popping in
Just popping in

GDat210
See User information
Thanks again, i can tell right away the community here will be as welcoming as the Datsun community is! (I currently daily drive a 1981 Datsun 210) I really love cars in general, and i love driving unique and hard to find ones. I'm also not afraid to get my hands dirty. I emailed him and asked for closer pictures of the car, so I'll base this venture on what he shows me.. I've been around cars my whole life, so I know the basic things to look for. I'm currently located in Jackson MS, and if anyone has a car they might sell me in the southeast for 700 or less, let me know. I'm scraping up as much money as I can.

Posted on: 2014/9/28 21:01
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

David Grubbs
See User information
here is an interesting 53 Packard wearing 55 trim and other mods in West Monroe. You might enjoy talking to the owner.\http://monroe.craigslist.org/cto/4679340047.html

Posted on: 2014/9/28 21:16
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

58L8134
See User information
Hi

Welcome! Nice to have a young man interested in Packards! There is an adage about old cars you'll always want to operate by: Buy the best one you can find, then maintain and improve its condition as time and finances allow, enjoying the journey along the way.

The flip side is buying a car just because it's available and cheap but is in serious need of time and money to revive. Those are learning experiences as well, but it's usually the hardest way to learn. At worst, the most overwhelming can put one off the idea completely.

Since you are looking at a '51 Packard 200, be advised that those '51-'54 straight eights, the prior series 1948-50 models and successor '55-'56 V8's are the most plentiful and turn up most frequently for sale all over the country. As such, check Craigslist and the Various CL Pickings thread here for a better possibilities.

Good luck in your search, hope you will find a Packard you can use, learn on and enjoy.

Steve

Posted on: 2014/9/29 12:02
 Top  Print   

Just popping in
Just popping in

GDat210
See User information
Thank you! I do not plan to immediately fully restore this packard. (no im not going to chop it, slam it, cut holes in the hood and panels, or tub it) but i want a car that im not afraid to drive. This means that rust, visible welds and patches, etc, are welcomed instead of shunned. However, if the frame or any of the suspension is rusted away or gone, i will not invest. but assuming I have a decent foundation to build on, i don't mind a lot of work. My Dad is ASE certified and has rebuilt multiple engines, and restored a 1954 ford club coupe to factory quality (but with a corvette 327). My friend's dad is a custom bike builder, with a shop, welding certification, and lots of connections. So I have the connections and personal ability to do much of the work required to work on a car like this. But i do understand what you guys are saying about making sure you start with a good foundation, but believe me, i wont be turned off by a little work! I think i will still hold out for a Packard if this one turns out to be worse than expected. I want something unique that makes people break their necks when i drive by!

Posted on: 2014/9/29 13:54
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Dave Brownell
See User information
You sound like a level-headed young man with some phenomenal resources in your father and other capable advice-givers. My only reservation came with your statement about having a Packard to turn heads. But all dreams have to start somewhere, so find the best car you can afford, and if all the other feelings are right, go for it.

There's an Autoweek associate editor, Graham Kozak, who had a similar dream of restoring his own Packard 200 sedan when he was a young man, not very long ago. Some of his travails were written about, including a fateful attempt to have the Packard ready for a Woodward Dream Cruise event, only to have something stand in his way at the last minute. Seeing or reading about his experiences might shed some realistic perspectives to your quest. Mr. Kozak is a very talented writer who may have blazed the very trail you've set for yourself.

Posted on: 2014/9/29 16:50
 Top  Print   

Just popping in
Just popping in

GDat210
See User information
the "turning heads" factor isnt the only reason. I LOVE cars, but i also LOVE the underdog factor, i love to keep the hard to find cars alive, because they have so much to offer! I'll go look up Graham's info! see if i can't find the article!

Posted on: 2014/9/29 17:07
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved