Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
215 user(s) are online (133 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 4
Guests: 211

BigKev, Don B, humanpotatohybrid, DM37, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 2 3 (4)

Re: under running board antenna
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
There are some photos and an illustration starting in post 5 on the first page of this thread. Don't know if anyone could get a better shot but have you made sure the rubber or plastic insulators are all in place and no screw has been misplaced that could be touching a rod. The antenna rods must not grounded in any way.

The coax cable to the radio also needs to be in good condition and not shorting or have any broken wires. If you have an ohmmeter, before you connect to the radio check continuity between the pin or hole on the end of the coax and the outer shell or retaining ring. There should be no connection nor any connection from the center pin or hole to the car frame.

Posted on: 2019/6/25 20:43
Howard
 Top  Print   

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Jeff Casalegno
See User information
Yes Howard Thanks for the reply. The Pictures are not to clear where the connections go. I had my radio rebuilt and he also made me a new harness for it. I Noticed in the illustration it looks like the stainless strap that connects the two rods is at the back of the car not front and that it is bent in not out. also the rods are grounded on the opposite side toward the front, the other connection is on the stainless strap side. don't know if that is the way it is installed or not. Could use a better picture to realize it all. trying to get a picture to download here.

Thanks for your time Howard
Jeff

Posted on: 2019/6/26 13:14
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Both rods are suspended in clamps with insulating material between the mounting pad that is screwed to the car or running board support and the supports directly holding the rods. The antenna rods are clamped in their support pieces and thus insulated from car metal. The original insulator is probably a rubber compound while the repro antenna says it uses a polyurethane material. Point is with the insulating material at each support point the rods are not touching any car metal.

The stainless strip in the back is screwed to a point on the rear pair of rod holding clamps below the insulators and connects one rod to the other essentially making one longer rod. As long as the strip does not touch the car running board or support metal the curve side doesn't make a difference.

The center wire of the antenna lead is connected below the insulating material via a screw into a rod support clamp so connects to the end of a rod. I don't think it would make a difference as to whether it connected to the inner or outer rod but there might be a provision for the connecting or terminal screw on a rod clamp so look for one support that might be different.

The woven braid around the outer part of the antenna lead is twisted together and either brought out looking like a wire or has an ordinary piece of wire soldered to it. The woven braid is the shield for the antenna lead and is fastened to the mounting support above the insulator which connects it to the car metal thus grounding the shield. Make sure the point the mounting support connects to the running board and where the shield connects to the support is clean metal because an intermittent or bad ground can cause static.

Posted on: 2019/6/26 14:36
Howard
 Top  Print   

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Jeff Casalegno
See User information
So the stainless strip side does go towards the back of the car correct? Okay i have it facing the front i will flip it around tomorrow and connect to the other end of the rods. I do have a antenna on both sides of my car, don't know if there should be a connection to that one or not it seems there should be?

Appreciate you time and knowledge

Jeff

Posted on: 2019/6/26 17:26
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
There might be something different between originals and repro antennas as far as the stainless strip or one vs two antennas. The repro illustration shows it at the rear and that might be for a single antenna but this bit from the 38 accessory book shows what I am assuming to be the stainless strip in front for both antennas. Not really sure how much difference it might make but when all else fails and no other photos are available the accessory page would be the best guide. The right and left side antennas do appear to be connected at the rear and the radio lead is fastened to the inner rod on the drivers side.

Attach file:

jpg  (89.58 KB)
209_5d13f70340694.jpg 1140X892 px

Posted on: 2019/6/26 17:51
Howard
 Top  Print   

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Jeff Casalegno
See User information
Thanks again for the photo I have them on correct then. Must Be the grounding that i am having a problem with.any way there is always tomorrow.

Jeff

Posted on: 2019/6/26 18:20
 Top  Print   

« 1 2 3 (4)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved