Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
205 user(s) are online (118 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 203

Don Shields, Packard Don, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

"32 "shovel-nose" Pack on "American Pickers"
Home away from home
Home away from home

Garrett Meadows
See User information
On this evening's "American Pickers" the guys were in Boston, MA, picking a guy's garage with lots of car/motorcycle stuff. In the midst of the stuff was a 1932 shovel-nose Packard that had been repainted and still had the original interior which was in surprisingly good shape. The guys didn't make an offer, just showed it to the audience and chatted briefly about the car.

Wasn't 1932 to only year that particular body style was made?

kind regards
Garrett Meadows

Posted on: 2015/3/25 23:10
 Top  Print   

Re: "32 "shovel-nose" Pack on "American Pickers"
Home away from home
Home away from home

BDC
See User information
Yes, 1932 was the only the shovel nose was made, also known as the "light eight ".

Posted on: 2015/3/26 6:24
I can explain it to you but I can't understand it for you

Bad company corrupts good character!

Farming: the art of losing money while working 100 hours a week to feed people who think you are trying to kill them
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Yes, 1932 Light Eight the only year and model to use that grille (and other features) but as far as the basic body tub itself goes, there were so many left-over Light Eight bodies that they were used for the 1933 Eight (1001) sedan but of course with a conventional grille. Thus the 1933 Eight 1001 has a slightly shorter wheelbase than either 1932 or 1934 (127-1/2 vs. 129-3/4 IIRC).

Posted on: 2015/3/26 8:14
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

58L8134
See User information
Hi Garrett

Yes, the Model 900 Light Eight was a 1932 only series...but here's the proviso. At some point, as you study and encounter Classic Packards, you come across a 1933 model that looks very familiar; same size and body styles as the '32 900 but with '33 radiator and fender styling. Those are 1933 Model 1001 Eights.

After the only-too-successful '32 Light Eight sold fully 40.7% of their overall 1932 volume but gave away the store because of its low prices ($1,750-$1,795 revised to $1,895-$1,940), management quietly folded it back into the 1933 Eight line. This time, priced from $2,150-$2,250, the Model 1001 still accounted for 39% of sales. While they likely made no profits on them, at least it wasn't emptying the till quite as quickly as the Light Eight 900 did. These hard lessons were some of the impetuous that lead to the decision to produce the 120.

Steve

Posted on: 2015/3/26 8:36
.....epigram time.....
Proud 1953 Clipper Deluxe owner. Thinking about my next Packard, want a Clipper Deluxe Eight, manual shift with overdrive.
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Garrett Meadows
See User information
Hello Steve!

Thank you for the detailed and highly informative response. I appreciate it. Considering that 1932 was the height of the Great Depression, I'm sure the Packard management were quick to correct marketing mis-steps to minimize losses, even if it meant re-cycling or perhaps a better word is re-packaging a less than stellar "seller."

take care
Garrett Meadows

Posted on: 2015/3/26 9:01
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved