Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
231 user(s) are online (124 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 231

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2)

Re: Engine Rebuild Tips and Suggestions Needed!!!
Home away from home
Home away from home

Wesley Boyer
See User information
Don't use Tap and Die to clean threads, get Thread Chaser kit. See article below it comes from The Bulletin Mechanic July 2007. And as far as the break in oil I would do a little research on the internet.
Wes

Attach file:

jpg  (273.56 KB)
1003_55390f8a1c83e.jpg 697X1280 px

Posted on: 2015/4/23 10:25
 Top  Print   

Re: Engine Rebuild Tips and Suggestions Needed!!!
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
What Wesley advises is certainly a preferred good practice and removing metal from existing fasteners (except when providing clearance for plating) is to be avoided, but Washburn's statement that using a tap or die "will be removing existing threads" is not necessarily true, it depends on the class of fit of the existing threads and the class of fit that the tap and/or die have been designed for. There are numeric specification for the various classes of fit but this chart from McGraw-Hill's Pocket Reference for Machinists and Metal Workers gives the various designations and some insight.

The class of fit should be considered when you purchase taps and dies. Personally, I don't have thread chasers and just use a well-worn 1A or 2A tap/die, saving the newer ones for actual thread cutting.

Attach file:

jpg  (74.64 KB)
177_55391c06b3788.jpg 551X552 px

Posted on: 2015/4/23 11:21
 Top  Print   

« 1 (2)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved