Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
212 user(s) are online (138 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 212

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Fuel sending unit wire
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

smashburn
See User information
Hello everyone. Needing some help on my 1954 Packard Cavalier Fuel sending unit wire identification. When I bought the car it did not have a gas tank. I am installing a new one and there are two wires hanging from the rear of the car where they have been cut. I assume one is for the tag light and the other for the fuel sending unit. One appears to be black and the other either yellow or a dingy white. I could be off on those colors since they are cloth and falling apart. Is there a way I can identify which one is which or can someone tell me what the factory wire color is supposed to be? BTW the motor is out of the car and it has no power so I can't test it at the moment. Any help is appreciated.

Posted on: 2015/4/14 17:14
 Top  Print   

Re: Fuel sending unit wire
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
The black wire should be the license lamp and the gas sender wire was originally orange..That wire should go to a connector located in the narrow trough between the trunk floor and the vertical panel under the lid and then directly on to the gas gauge.

If you have an ohmmeter, the license lamp is in parallel with the tail light so you should be able to read continuity from the cut black wire to one of the tail light socket pins to confirm. Same with continuity on the gas sender wire to the gas gauge terminal under dash

Posted on: 2015/4/14 17:33
Howard
 Top  Print   

Re: Fuel sending unit wire
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

smashburn
See User information
This is exactly what I needed to know. Thanks so much!

Posted on: 2015/4/14 21:08
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved