Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
195 user(s) are online (123 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 193

BigKev, Don Shields, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 3 »

Best damper puller?
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
I've done a search and found other posts on the site about damper pullers.

What's the best type of damper puller that people have found is a ready-to-buy solution for pulling the friction-disk damper off the crank snout of my 48 Custom's 356 engine?

I have no welding skills nor equipment, so making my own puller from bar stock is out. Is there a modern puller available that is similar to the factory Packard puller, or one that will do the same job? The more specialized tools I've picked up from AutoZone's Loan-A-Tool program might have been fine for my Dodge, but I feel the need to be a lot more protective and diligent of the Packard parts.

Thanks everyone.

Posted on: 2015/4/29 18:19
 Top  Print   

Re: Best damper puller?
Home away from home
Home away from home

Craig Hendrickson
See User information
Since you don't want to make/modify your own, I can't really help you. I modified a commercial 2/3 jaw puller that worked on one 1955 damper, but wouldn't work on another one, so I modified it further. It is not a trivial exercise (about 8 hours work with the proper drills, drillpress, grinders, cutters, vice, etc. -- but no welding required).

The Packard tool is J-5992 (3 parts) for 55-56, but I don't know if that is the same one needed for your Packard.

Craig

Posted on: 2015/4/29 19:03
Nuke them from orbit, it's the only way to be sure! Ellen Ripley "Aliens"
Time flies like an arrow. Frui
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Craig Hendrickson
See User information

I meant to add that if no one comes up with a commercial equivalent, then you can borrow my modified one if it will work on your 48. You pay shipping to/from NV. If interested, PM me.

Craig

Posted on: 2015/4/29 19:21
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
Thanks Craig. I'll research this a little more to see if there are some other options close by to me. I appreciate it!

Posted on: 2015/5/1 20:21
 Top  Print   

My modified damper puller
Home away from home
Home away from home

Craig Hendrickson
See User information

This is what my modified puller looks like. The distance between the jaws is exactly 7IN.

The modified parts:
Resized Image

Modified tool assembled, not installed:
Resized Image

Modified tool installed, ready to pull damper:
Resized Image

Although not apparent in the above pic, I also had to grind some clearance at the hook end so the hooks would not slip off.

I hope this helps you or someone else.

Craig

Posted on: 2015/5/2 11:11
 Top  Print   

Re: My modified damper puller
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
The way Craig shows is essentially how I removed the damper from my 48 Custom 8 356, but I used a standard commercial 3-jaw puller. They are readily available at better industrial and auto supply houses, and probably for rent at tool rental outlets. Getting the bolt out was a struggle but the damper itself came off quite easily. I used the dry ice trick for putting it back on.

Posted on: 2015/5/2 12:53
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
Thanks O_D. I tried using a 3-jaw puller and didn't have much success. Maybe it wasn't large enough. The jaws kept slipping off. Just so I'm clear what I'm supposed to be pulling on, would people please review the picture below and advise me where the jaws of a puller are supposed to be hooking? The factory manual looks like the jaws of the damper puller are hooking IN the groove, but I the image isn't super duper clear so just want to be sure.

Attach file:

jpg  (142.90 KB)
2024_55500fee770a4.jpg 1280X960 px

Posted on: 2015/5/10 21:11
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Craig Hendrickson
See User information
IMO, most 2/3-Jaw pullers are not wide enough. That's why I modified mine so it would pull straight out with no angle. Also, I had to grind off some of the inside of the jaws as I indicated in my prior post.

Craig

Posted on: 2015/5/10 23:05
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
The risk from choosing "A" is that you can rather easily damage or break the pulley. For reinstalling, after thoroughly cleaning the mating surfaces I recommend the dry ice method.

Posted on: 2015/5/11 11:01
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
Craig, getting antsy that I can't find a puller that will work - about ready to give you a holler to borrow yours.

Wondering how similar your V8 damper is to mine? Took this straight up & down shot to compare. Can your puller hook on to the outer rim? Biggest challenge I've had so far with those 'jaws' is getting them to hook onto something solid. The rounded outer edge makes them slip off.

Dave - is the puller you used on your 356 like Craig's? This was the one I was trying to use but the spread wasn't wide enough:

http://www.autozone.com/loan-a-tools/jaw-attachment-puller/oem-2-or-3-jaw-gear-puller/516519_0_0/

Surprised there isn't a universal tool closer to the factory design available. Did a lot of web searching and saw that Kent Moore puller but can't even find where one is available to try.

Attach file:

jpg  (113.68 KB)
2024_55518e1e498c2.jpg 1280X960 px

Posted on: 2015/5/12 0:20
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 3 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved