Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
240 user(s) are online (119 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 240

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 2 (3)

Re: Build sheet availability
Home away from home
Home away from home

Bill Clay
See User information
I was wondering after reading this tread, how did all or most of Packard's production orders get into private collector hands?
Was there an auction of some sort when the Detroit plant and offices were closed? Or did Packard just lock the door and walk away in 1957? Leaving the plant to become victim of theft and vandalism?

Posted on: 2016/9/17 7:11
"I have a great memory for forgetting things"
Lee Chan
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
You will have to read some of the Packard history books to understand what must have been chaos but for a lot of the paper it was happening even before the plant shut down. Apparently early on in the closing there was almost no communication or planning. There are stories of file cabinets being emptied and readied for auction with contents being dumped on the floor or thrown into carts. Much of it possibly was meant to be saved but someone else directing another crew would think the carts were to go to the incinerator or to salvage so a lot was destroyed or lost.

Many stories of people seeing this happening and trying to save the history by smuggling various paper items out of the plant and off the property. Apparently some found the way out in some very ingenious ways. A lot of material was directed to various libraries and I would not be surprised if some material didn't find different destinations before it reached them. There are still lots of items known to be in private collections that have not seen daylight since the time. There was an article a few years ago about a cache of the old papers being found in a library storage area after being forgotten about. The hope is that eventually some of the items make it to a museum but after all these years that is starting to seem less likely.

Posted on: 2016/9/17 8:55
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Bill Clay
See User information
I can only imagine the chaos that took place there! What a shame, what a waste!
Firstly for the lost of a fine motor car company, it's manufacturing plant, and all that history lost.
I have only owned two Packards a 1955 400 found in salvage yard, got running,and my present Packard a 1957 Packard wagon.
I found the 57 in a junk yard and was rather sad looking and although not a true Detroit built Packard it needed to be saved before it was sent to China.
We still refer to it as a Packard.
Yes, I will read up on the "last days in the bunker".

Posted on: 2016/9/17 17:27
"I have a great memory for forgetting things"
Lee Chan
 Top  Print   

« 1 2 (3)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved