Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
202 user(s) are online (134 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 200

DaveJr, Don B, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2)

Re: Packard / Studebaker Manual
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Troy, I'm really surprised you're not familiar with that manual. Motor's were pretty much the standard reference for decades for local garages; rare is the serious hobbyist doing mechanical service who doesn't have one or more editions. They are commonly found at car show flea markets though the older ones covering prewar cars are getting scarce, mine covers 1935 thru 1949.

The specific information on Packard for example presents nothing that can't be found elsewhere though the tables of specifications and the like are very handy for quick reference. But what is also of considerable value are the sections in the beginning dealing with generators, starters, voltage regulators, distributors, carburetors, hydraulic lifters, brakes, shocks, power convertible tops, etc. and in particular the identification of the various units by manufacturer's part number and specifications for them.

If you don't have one that covers your era of interest, I strongly suggest getting one.

Another reference source that's very useful is the A.E.A. Universal Catalog of Original Equipment Service Parts. It identifies by the OEM supplier's part numbers the service parts for the likes of Autolite, Delco, Trico, Briggs & Stratton, Stromberg, Carter, Purolator, and in short just about all significant parts the car manufacturer's outsourced along with the individual service parts for these components, sample page attached.

One further primary reference would be Hollander's Interchange Manual; of lesser value but still useful would be Packards International's 1978 printing of a Packard interchange manual which was abstracted from Hollanders for selected parts.

Attach file:

jpg  (182.35 KB)
177_56be041b598e6.jpg 887X1280 px

Posted on: 2016/2/12 10:44
 Top  Print   

« 1 (2)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved