Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
212 user(s) are online (131 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 211

BigKev, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Head Gasdket leaking combustion
Home away from home
Home away from home

Jim McDermaid
See User information
After my morning drive in my 54 Cavalier I noticed a tic-tic-tic sound.

The head gasket is leaking combustion at the back end of the motor.

The last time I did a head gasket, on a Model A Ford I broke a stud and then broke an easy-out off and then towed it to a guy who torched out the broken stud which had been installed at a slight angle and tipped up straight, which cracked the threads flush with the top of the block.

I have replaced head gaskets since the "A" but not in a long time

I am now 50 years older and not in the car business.

The car was apart and restored in the early 90's and I know the motor was apart as I have pictures from the former owner.

There is always the possibility of breaking a straight 8 head not to mention the pain of doing the job.

Do any of you have wisdom to share I live in Phoenix AZ and it hit 110 F at my house today

Jim

Posted on: 2016/6/18 16:49
 Top  Print   

Re: Head Gasdket leaking combustion
Home away from home
Home away from home

Wesley Boyer
See User information
Part of the service on packards is to check that the head is torque along with changing the oil and lubing the car. When was the last time you check the head?
Wes

Posted on: 2016/6/18 17:22
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Ernie Vitucci
See User information
Good afternoon Jim...First drain the coolent. Then make up a mixture of 50/50 ATF and Acetone and put some on each head bolt/nut. Do this evey day for a week and then take the illustration for installing the head and start to loosen the bolts in reverse order. The studs are about the same as the Model A Ford...not very big. Set your Torque wrench for 40 pounds feet and gently try to remove the nuts. If one does not move, soak it again, be patient and you'll be fine. Don't give in to using more torque pressure as some of the head bolts might have stuck nuts but be a bit rusty and easy to break.

Once you have the head off, examine the bolts and chase the threads to clean them up for the new gasket. New nuts and washers are a good idea.
Have the head checked to see if it is warped or is nice and flat. If warped, then have it decked. Use a high quality modern gasket from Kantor or Max for the replacement

If you are not going to do it yourself, you might check with Vintage Automotive Repair in north Phoenix...They do this sort of thing on a daily basis.

Ernie

PS I live in Scottsdale and have the 1949 Deluxe 'Miss Prudence'. Ernie

Posted on: 2016/6/18 18:09
Caretaker of the 1949-288 Deluxe Touring Sedan
'Miss Prudence' and the 1931 Model A Ford Tudor 'Miss Princess'
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Jim McDermaid
See User information
Ernie

I spoke to the folks at Vintage Auto and I believe I will have them do the job. I just don't feel like ripping into the project.

I bought four new Coker tires for the baby and haven't gotten around to getting them mounted

So thanks for the sugestion.

Snce you live in the area you probably know my car.

Jim

Posted on: 2016/6/22 12:47
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Ernie Vitucci
See User information
Good Evening Jim...

'Miss Prudence' spent some time with them and she liked her stay. You will be happy. I suspect they can mount the new tires and if not, then I recommend Advance Automotive where my modern cars have been serviced/repaired for the last 17 years.

Advanced has even helped me with work on the Model A and the Packard when I have needed a lift and help close to home. They have provided tires and balanced tires for Miss Prudence and for our Model A Ford 'Miss Princess'.

They can be reached at 480-451-9695. Ask for Tom or Alex.

How about getting together for a cup of coffee? Ernie

Posted on: 2016/6/22 21:05
Caretaker of the 1949-288 Deluxe Touring Sedan
'Miss Prudence' and the 1931 Model A Ford Tudor 'Miss Princess'
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Jim McDermaid
See User information
Ernie

We had talked of going to see a couple of folks who do head gaskets.

You provided a phone number which I can't find.

I still need to fix the Cavalier ans I have a couple of unsecured days this month.

Thinking lunch and mechanics.

\Jim

I will try and send my cell number by PM

Posted on: 2016/12/2 16:18
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved