Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
216 user(s) are online (126 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 216

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Fuel tank sender unit
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

auto.nut
See User information
Can someone tell me what the resistance values of the sending unit is suppose to be Full vs Empty?
Help appreciated. This is for a 1942 Packard 2055
Lee

Posted on: 2016/10/1 14:16
 Top  Print   

Re: Fuel tank sender unit
Home away from home
Home away from home

Wesley Boyer
See User information

Posted on: 2016/10/1 15:27
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
What model is a 2055? I don't see that designation in listings I have.

I believe prewar Clippers used the same Stewart-Warner gauges that postwar Clippers used and those have a now obsolete range of 100 ohms empty and 0 ohms full.

Packard use different gauge mfgs for various models & I don't know how many of the other models used the same magnetic S-W gauges. Other gauges are thermal. Some senders Packard used had straight resistance while others had bimetal senders where the float would preload a bimetal strip. A heater would cause the bimetal to bend farther and touch a contact which would in turn cut off the heater and let the bimetal cool. The output was on or off with the duration of on vs off time influenced by the float. The on time would determine how high the gauge read. That type is about impossible to test with a meter since it has no variable resistance.

Posted on: 2016/10/1 15:29
Howard
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

auto.nut
See User information
It's a Business Sedan 160. Thanks for the info.
Lee

Posted on: 2016/10/2 15:27
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved