Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
226 user(s) are online (144 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 4
Guests: 222

BigKev, Tobs, Guscha, moodydavid16, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2)

Re: Proper brake hoses for 53 Clipper Deluxe from Napa
Home away from home
Home away from home

Brenda
See User information
I am so glad that my mechanic told me to buy 2 copper washers and I did. $1.06 but well worth it. Thank you!

Posted on: 2017/4/22 9:28
1953 Packard Clipper Deluxe
She starts on the first crank in the morning and purrs like a kitten all day.
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Brenda
See User information
My car has been sitting in his garage for 7 years. All fluids have been changed except the transmission. Someone said to make sure it is full and it is OK to drive. What do you say? The trans was rebuilt with some Mercedes parts and ran perfectly the former owner said. I don't want to damage it but really need advice. If OK then OK.

Posted on: 2017/4/22 9:31
1953 Packard Clipper Deluxe
She starts on the first crank in the morning and purrs like a kitten all day.
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
I don't think there would be any problem using the trans fluid as is. As mentioned, check that it is full after you start the engine. The car needs to have been idling in park or neutral a few minutes before checking. That way the converter will be filled and a proper level will indicate on the dipstick. Since the dipstick is under the car, if you want to stop the engine before going under it needs to be checked within one minute after the engine stops before the fluid in the converter has a chance to start draining back into the pan.

You can check the condition of the fluid then too. Red and clear with no odd smells and all is fine. A very dark red or brown and with a nasty odor would indicate burned fluid and some problems that would need to be investigated.

I'd almost bet the brake hose number that Napa gave you is for 50 and earlier and the later commercial cars which used 1/4" brake tubing instead of the 51 and later passenger models which had 3/16".. You can have the honor of adding the correct hose number to the parts x-ref. Just be logged in and then select the x-ref off the main menu. Below the categories is a link for adding a new part. Click on that and fill in as much of the information requested as you can and then submit the entry.

Posted on: 2017/4/22 9:57
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

fredkanter
See User information
Hose 4497 is for 35-50 Packard passenger cars. NAPA and many others do not know what they are talking about. 51-56 Packards use one hose in the rear and a different number in the front

Posted on: 2017/4/23 19:11
 Top  Print   

« 1 (2)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved