Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
224 user(s) are online (131 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 223

Don Shields, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2) 3 4 »

Re: 1932 Packard Light eight shovelnose serial number plate
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Gee, what a familiar (and sad) story; an owner who was going to convert a coupe to a convertible, and a missing patent plate. That's why we should be skeptical of the legitimacy of any significant Packard open car with a repro plate.

Al, you've get a great car there, like it for what it is and treat it well.

Posted on: 2017/12/17 16:00
 Top  Print   

Just popping in
Just popping in

yazdi
See User information
I am so glad that I attempted to research the history of my Packard. With the kindness and efforts of one of the knowledgeable members, I found out that the patent number for my car is 558-357.
As long as I own this vehicle, it will be presented as: a 1932 Packard light 8 shovelhead "COUPE". Since the car is currently registered using the engine number, I really do not need to buy a reproduction plate and have it stamped. It would be nice to have one.
This car has an interesting, rather strange, and somewhat sad history. If in the future someone tries to alter ( roadster conversion) this amazing car, well shame on them

Posted on: 2017/12/17 17:33
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
So glad to read your response. Just to get the nomenclature correct, 558-357 is a vehicle number and the metal plate it was stamped on is the "patent plate" because it announces that features of the car are covered by patents assigned to Packard. Essentially it was a warning to would-be patent infringers.

Posted on: 2017/12/17 17:57
 Top  Print   

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

tph479
See User information
Yazdi,

The number 558-357 belongs to my car that I am currently restoring. I took the pictures of those to show you where to look for the numbers on your coupe. If you look in those 2 locations you may find them. The reason you want to look for them is listed below.

I am aware of 13 -14 light eight coupes out there of a production of 500. Last I read there were about 55 light eight coupe roadsters around out of a production of 1200.

Why the high survival rate of coupe roadster compared coupes? There was a cottage industry back in the day to cut the top off a coupe, buy a kit to make it a convertible out of it and take the 558 tag off. A coupe roadster would start with tag number 559. One can assume a coupe roadster would have a bunch of weather related issues with leaky tattered top and a coupe would have weather time a little better.

I would be highly suspect to buy any convertible packard coupe roadster of the era unless knowing where to look for numbers.

The funny thing now is that there have been light eight coupes that have sold for more money than coupe roadsters.

I hope the above helps.

Posted on: 2017/12/17 18:03
 Top  Print   

Just popping in
Just popping in

yazdi
See User information
Thank you for clarification of the patent number. I will look for mine tomorrow.

Posted on: 2017/12/17 18:17
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Tph479, I'd be interested in knowing where you got the production numbers of those two body styles, I'm not aware of any surviving factory records. Perhaps from surviving vehicle numbers? Of the 1934 Eights, the convertible coupes were about 7% of total production, 2/4 passenger coupes somewhat less so those numbers seem uncharacteristic.

PS. Id be glad to share the highest sequential numbers for each style from my database though it's fairly small for the Light Eight.

Posted on: 2017/12/17 18:23
 Top  Print   

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

tph479
See User information
Jack Triplett a packard historian had a 2 part article published in the late 1970's or early 1980's in Cars and Parts magazine regarding "Packard's controversial light eight". I just pulled out the article and based on information that he gathered, company data indicated 6,750 light eights were built. Know serial numbers at the time went to #500 for the coupe,#1020 for the coupe roadster, #4807 for the sedan and # 175 for the coupe sedan. I have read somewhere else of slightly different production numbers but cannot find that paperwork right now, but the numbers didn't vary by much from what I recall.

In an earlier post I might have been a little high of coupe roadster production. Still surprising survival rate of roadsters to coupes any way you cut it.

Would be interested to know if anyone does have a current count of the surviving light eights out there.

Either way they are fantastic cars and a joy to drive!

Attach file:

jpg  (221.21 KB)
94105_5a370a99303fb.jpg 1920X1433 px

Posted on: 2017/12/17 19:24
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Thanks. You mentioned 500 and 1200 as if they were firm numbers, not estimates and that's what got my attention. Numbers from my database; production estimate based on highest known (to me) sequential number:

553 sedan, 4195
558 coupe, 492
559 roadster, 1051
563 cpe/sdn, no data

Posted on: 2017/12/17 19:32
 Top  Print   

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

tph479
See User information
Here is a picture of the light eight that was restored for Bill Buddig by Fran roxas in the 1980's. It is going up for auction in Scottsdale. When it was first restored it had white wall, disc wheels and tan canvas top and side mount covers. It now sports wire wheels, black walls and black top and the optional horns. This is still probably one of the top five restored 900s out there today.

Attach file:

jpg  (244.88 KB)
94105_5a370c754f929.jpg 1920X1433 px

Posted on: 2017/12/17 19:38
 Top  Print   

Just popping in
Just popping in

Gary Mason
See User information
Hello Owen_Dyneto,
Are you still around? I have a 1932 900 Coupe. would like to chat about vehicle numbers and patent plates etc. if you got the time for me. Im a newbie to this whole experience, young guy, only 65, next gen Packard lover type.

Posted on: 2020/1/1 15:18
 Top  Print   

« 1 (2) 3 4 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved