Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
214 user(s) are online (118 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 213

Ozstatman, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Instrument gauge removal and light bullb replacement 42 Clipper
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

poweroptions
See User information
Hi, my service manual for my car does not include information on how to replace the speedo and gauge bulbs or how to remove and replace the instrument cluster gauges. I thought maybe the whole chrome bezel housing the speedo and gauges are in would drop forward or that section of the wood grained dash would drop forward. What is the best way to replace my oil and water temp gauges and install new bulbs ? Thank you.

Posted on: 2019/6/19 12:29
 Top  Print   

Re: Instrument gauge removal and light bullb replacement 42 Clipper
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Everything is accessed from under the dash. Bulb sockets just pull out of the cluster and bulbs are changed then sockets pushed back in the holes. The instruments are mounted on plates screwed to the cluster case, two gauges per plate. The entire cluster is held by screws and can be removed as an assy after the wires are disconnected and temp gauge sensing bulb is disconnected and pulled thru the firewall. The speedometer mounting shares a screw with the cluster so take that into consideration. All of the screws thread thru holes in the dash directly into the pot metal chrome front . Depending on whether the speedo leg is on top or bottom the speedo may need to loosen to remove the cluster and if all the screws for speedo and cluster are removed the pot metal piece may fall and scratch the woodgrain. The woodgrained panel can also be removed in its entirety but a couple of screws holding it are a bit fussy and hard to reach. There are spacers and cushion material which can be hard to replace properly so the panel fits well again. Take note of any fabric anti squeak material on the cluster or speedo too. If you just need to get to gauges IMO it is just as easy to remove only the cluster part.

Oil, gas and ammeter gauges are electric and easy to remove from the plates. Just remove the nuts on the terminal and pull them out of the mounting plate. Watch out for and take note of positions of any insulating washers. Temp gauge will need the sensor bulb removed from the head and if it has been in place and not touched for a long time there is a good chance it has all but glued itself in. That removal is not a job you are going to enjoy. If you manage to get it out without damage celebrate the occasion because you are more fortunate than several others on the forum. Once the sensor is out and pulled into the interior there is a single large nut holding the gauge to the plate. Remove the nut and pull the entire gauge including cable and sensing bulb thru the hole and out of the plate.

Here is a photo of the rear of a 47 dash showing the cluster and speedo. I believe the construction and layout is identical to the 42 except for the ashtray area. There is a service letter article specific to 42 Clippers and how to alleviate some dash noise issues.https://www.packardinfo.com/xoops/html/downloads/SC/SL-VOL15NO23.pdf

Attach file:

jpg  (98.55 KB)
209_5d0a811bddb92.jpg 1280X960 px

jpg  (120.25 KB)
209_5d0a812c1d98f.jpg 1280X454 px

jpg  (88.97 KB)
209_5d0a85fbc2644.jpg 1280X987 px

Posted on: 2019/6/19 13:41
Howard
 Top  Print   

Re: Instrument gauge removal and light bullb replacement 42 Clipper
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

poweroptions
See User information
Howard thank you !

Posted on: 2019/6/19 15:09
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved