Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
156 user(s) are online (92 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 155

Ozstatman, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 3 »

Window Glass
Home away from home
Home away from home

Tom (Packin31)
See User information
Well had a delima yesterday. When I was trying to reinstall the window and channel for the passenger door it happen to crack on me.

Somewhere where along the line someone must have taken some sand paper to the outside portion of the window. Because it had some nasty scratches in it. So I guess it was a good thing that it broke on me now instead having to battle replacing it later on down the road.

What do I need to look for when I find a place to cut me a new piece of glass?

Should I look for it to have the safety markings? I believe the window has some sort of marking now. Does it really matter if it has the marking or not?

Should I pull the other doors window and replace it?

Thanks for any feedback.

Posted on: 2009/11/9 7:33
Tom
1931 833 468 Coupe
Packard Registry|1931 Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Re: Window Glass
Home away from home
Home away from home

West Peterson
See User information
Any glass shop can cut you a replacement. They WILL NOT sell it to you without a Safety Glass mark, which will most assuredly be incorrect. You should be able to provide the correct mark, though, but I'm not sure where you get it.

Posted on: 2009/11/9 11:40
West Peterson
1930 Packard Speedster Eight Runabout (boattail)
1940 Packard 1808 w/Factory Air
1947 Chrysler Town and Country sedan
1970 Camaro RS

https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=4307&forum=10

http://aaca.org/
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Eric Boyle
See User information
I wonder if you could take your old windows in with the mark as an example and have someone etch it into the new glass? Worth a try anyway.

Posted on: 2009/11/9 11:45
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Tom (Packin31)
See User information
So I understand safety glass mark is to show the glass is safety glass and the mark may not be correct for that period. If the car was going to be judged it would be a point deduction for incorrect markings. Right?

I could always have it etched latter on like Eric suggested.

Should I go ahead and pull the other doors glass back out and replace it?

I ask because would there not be a difference in glass color?

Posted on: 2009/11/9 12:03
Tom
1931 833 468 Coupe
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Eric Boyle
See User information
Any competent glass shop should be able to match the tint off your original window so it matches the rest of them. I'd take the broken window down to them and see what they can do.

Posted on: 2009/11/9 12:12
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Tom (Packin31)
See User information
Eric,

Will do.

My bad at my explaining what I meant about color. As you know as the windows get older they fade "get a yellowish tint" to them. Guess I answered my own question I should just replace them both so they match.

Posted on: 2009/11/9 12:20
Tom
1931 833 468 Coupe
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Eric Boyle
See User information
Ahh, gotcha. You mean the plastic in between the glass sandwich has faded. Good point, I doubt they'll be able to match that.

Posted on: 2009/11/9 12:24
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

bkazmer
See User information
The new glass will look, well, new. The butyrate layer will be clear. Bring the old or measure to get the same thickness (laminated glass comes in various thicknesses).

Posted on: 2009/11/9 12:43
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

West Peterson
See User information
Tom
They will put the modern mark onto the glass, unless you give them the mark that you want. They won't sell you the glass without some safety mark.
Of course, if you know someone at the glass shop, and are able to get the glass out the back door "unofficially," then, yes, etch in the correct mark later. However, I think it would be a lot less work to get it done at the time the glass is out of the car. The original mark is very, very small, as compared to the quite large modern mark.

Posted on: 2009/11/10 13:16
West Peterson
1930 Packard Speedster Eight Runabout (boattail)
1940 Packard 1808 w/Factory Air
1947 Chrysler Town and Country sedan
1970 Camaro RS

https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=4307&forum=10

http://aaca.org/
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Tom (Packin31)
See User information
I have the glass sitting in the garage. I will bring it with and see if they could match the markings if not will see what they can do for me...Hint Hint.

This car sat in a barn from the late 30's to early 40's until 1958 when my great uncle took ownership. Not sure if the glass was intact at that time. So the glass may have been replaced once in it lifetime.

Thanks all for your input.

Have another expense. My wiring harness got trashed from the blaster.

Posted on: 2009/11/10 16:16
Tom
1931 833 468 Coupe
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 3 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved