Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
216 user(s) are online (122 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 215

moodydavid16, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 3 »

Do you have a daily driver Packard?
Home away from home
Home away from home

Dan
See User information
If so, please post what year/model it is and how trouble-free it's been (or not!).

After all, they were originally built to be daily drivers, right?

Posted on: 2010/8/12 9:22
 Top  Print   

Re: Do you have a daily driver Packard?
Home away from home
Home away from home

patgreen
See User information
Mine is a driver....but I'm always a little spooked by the daily part. Use it when the weather is nice (not so &%#$# HOT).

Model is 5682 with Non-pushbutton automatic.

No major problems that I know of. Starts readily, runs well, drives well. I do have radials FWIW.

The worst thing I have had is an odd noise in the right rear area which went away when we put it on a lift and removed wheel and drum then put em back together.

Wiper motor is at Fickens as we speak. I can assure you from personal experience that RainX is not the same as working wipers.

Drivers window cracked; when the window was replace the track was reriveted....

This spring I had everything that could possibly be lubricated lubricated. All that odd interval stuff. Even had the radio lubricated, which fixed it. I have no idea why.

Longest trip this year was about 300 miles; no problems other than the voice from the gas tank constantly saying "FEED ME!"

This help?

Posted on: 2010/8/12 10:21
When two men ride the same horse, one has to be in the back...
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
DAILY driver? No, that's a potential violation of both my state historic vehicle registration and my car insurance. But driven nearly every weekend and often during the week to local car events, and more-or-less annually on tours from between a couple of hundred miles and perhaps 800 miles - yes. Both cars (34 Eight and 56 Carib conv.) have proven extremely reliable, only one breakdown which required a flatbed, broken axle. Other than that, only an occasional hiccup easily fixed on the highway. If you're religious about reading and abiding by the service requirements of these cars and drive them within their limitations, no reason why they shouldn't be as reliable as they were when new, and more-or-less as reliable as modern cars.

Posted on: 2010/8/12 12:13
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Craig Hendrickson
See User information
My 1955 Patrician is usually my daily driver, although I have two restored Firebirds that can be driven reliably. All are insured for daily driving.

As many of you know, my Pat has front disc brakes, MP dual master power booster, electric wipers, electric aux fuel pump and a 300W hidden stereo. All of these were installed early on in my ownership primarily for the purpose of making it a safe, fun, reliable driver.

Each car (Patrician, 76 Firebird TurboForce, 79 Trans Am 4-speed 400) has its good points. The 76 is yet to lose a street drag race. The 79 T/A (WS6 equipped with Goodyear Eagle GTII tires) will corner hard enough to make your eyes water. But the one that gets the MOST attention from the public by far is my Pat. Also, it has a really big trunk compared to the Birds which is good for shopping trips. So that's why I usually drive my Pat.

Craig

Posted on: 2010/8/12 12:29
Nuke them from orbit, it's the only way to be sure! Ellen Ripley "Aliens"
Time flies like an arrow. Frui
 Top  Print   

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

A man who owns one!
See User information
I got a daily driver, it's a 2262. 48ish deluxe 8 touring sedan. I've got ac, abs, traction control, fuel injected 3.7l v6. .............................................................................................................................figured I'd let that marinate for a second....................................................................
OK my packard is powered my a 2006 dodge dakota chassis. I left the dash and front seats on the frame and welded my packard on top. So instead of spending $100k on building a brand new 1948 with 1948 engineering. I spent next to nothin' and built an almost new 1948 with todays technology. Ok you got me I haven't mastered the art of designing wipers but the rain-x trick has taken me cross county once thus far. Another benefit to my madness is that I can average about 21mpg. As far as trouble free, I've put gas in it, changed the oil and one headlight, don't ask. I've driven it just over 5000 miles in the past 3 weeks alone. I'm not joking check the "first drive in my new pack-rat" thread. I absolutly love my Daily Driven Packard.

Attach file:

jpg  (4.16 KB)
2128_4c64451e15aa2.jpg 213X160 px

Posted on: 2010/8/12 14:05
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Dan
See User information
Yup, I knew about yours, AMWOO.....

Posted on: 2010/8/12 15:36
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
Very original unrestored 56 Executive sedan. PushButton, Mark IV air conditioning, Olds oil pump conversion and F power brake unit conversion, NEW F truck radiator. Otherwise oem stock condition.
Drove it today 85 miles at speeds 55-80 mph in 98-100 degree weather with 85% humidity. No problems.

I would not call it a daily driver since i only tend to drive it for long distance errand running and pleasure site seeing type excursions. Probably 200 - 300 miles per month or more. Summer, winter, fall it doesn't matter.

I will place it against ANY modern car for ANY operation conditions for ANY distance AT ANY SPEED. The only downside to the car is gas mileage sucks compared to more modern cars.

But i was lucky to find a very low mileage (34K miles) rust free garage kept car in mostly original unrestored condition to start with. I bought it in 1998 and it now has over 54K miles on it.

Other than highly controversial components such as the oiling system and the BTV and perhaps the T'Ultramatic the 55 and 56 models are every bit as road worthy today as ANY modern automobile at ANY price.

Of course there are those that will always bring safety issues, and ecological friendly nonsense issues as well various other peripheral qualities about a car to bare.

The bottom line is that i can drive my 56 Executive just as successfuly as ANY other car.

So what does anyone want??? An airbag and cupholder too???

Posted on: 2010/8/12 16:37
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7245
 Top  Print   

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

A man who owns one!
See User information
I have airbags and cupholders.

Posted on: 2010/8/13 10:47
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
But my question is, do you have a Packard?

Posted on: 2010/8/13 11:10
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

portlandon
See User information
AMWOO's car is a custom chassis Packard.

Posted on: 2010/8/13 12:48
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 3 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved