Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
142 user(s) are online (106 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 3
Guests: 139

Packard Don, Leeedy, BDeB, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

stick to auto swap
Just popping in
Just popping in

bkd
See User information
Hi guys Help!??1I'm a vintage mechanic that has been asked by a good customer to convert his 1947 Packard from straight drive to auto AND p/s.[ so his wife can drive it]We found a 1952-53 Packard parts car with the proper options,it looks, on quick inspection, like these parts will work, what do you think.parts car is priced fairly. also are the removed stick parts of any value? ballpark figures? Bruce in N.J.

Posted on: 2008/1/14 9:56
 Top  Print   

Re: stick to auto swap
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Randy Berger
See User information
Just my own prejudiced opinion - how much for a wife who could drive the car as is? And can you get anything for the current wife on a trade?

Posted on: 2008/1/14 13:14
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Making those changes, which may or may not be that simple, surely won't do anything to enhance the value of the car and will probably detract from it. I'm with Randy, get another car or another wife.

Posted on: 2008/1/14 15:45
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Dave Kenney
See User information
These Packards are easy to drive with a standard trans and the steering, once the car is moving, is quite light. My wife drives my '47 Super Clipper with no problem. The benefits would simply not justify the expense and labour. Best to get another car or a new wife as mentioned (just kidding about the wife )

Posted on: 2008/1/14 15:53
 Top  Print   

Just popping in
Just popping in

packardclipper
See User information
OK, having read all the guys who I totally agree with: Don't mess up a great car!! But let me offer this to the mechanic running a business (as I do) in the real world:
The customer is the boss. If you can do it for him and allow an older couple? perhaps to enjoy vintage motoring, why not? Better than him selling it and someone throwing in a 350 with 2-4bbls and a THM. UGGHH.
IMHO, a Chrysler 727 adaptor is the way to go if you have to, and advise the customer to hang onto the original tranny and bell housing to go with the future owner/heir so that the value or at least the originality of the car can be retrieved.
You can always get a 727 repaired, it can handle the torque, and it's reliable. I love my Ultramatic in the '51 Patrician, but it's not to some people's liking or purse when it comes to repairs.
As to power steering, there's nothing wrong, again IMHO, with a '52-'54 Packard retrofit steering system, which is essentially a bolt on, that even the dealers did in 1952 and later to the earlier series cars. It should not affect the value? Opinions?
There are sure a lot of older (meaning 70 and up) people in my Packard Club chapter that have to drive their modern cars to meetings and tours just because it's tough to drive the old machines when you've got arthritis, etc.
I say anybody that we can get to actually put a Packard on the road and keep it there is a friend of ours. But, then, I'm easy......
Steve

Posted on: 2008/1/14 18:12
 Top  Print   

Just popping in
Just popping in

bkd
See User information
thank all for your comments,and although I understand that this is not the best solution,it works for the customer. I'm interested in the 727 trans swap is there a link or contact info for that? thanks Bruce, in N.J.

Posted on: 2008/1/15 10:10
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
It has been reported by several participants in this forum that the 727 swap requires the use a LARGE spacer between the flex palte and torque converter and it causes balance and alignment problems which SHOULD be expected.
Also the 727 does not have overdrive.

See the TH400 to V8 thread currently in discussion mode in this website.

Posted on: 2008/1/15 13:14
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Eric Boyle
See User information
Quote:
It has been reported by several participants in this forum that the 727 swap requires the use a LARGE spacer between the flex palte and torque converter and it causes balance and alignment problems which SHOULD be expected.
Also the 727 does not have overdrive.

I would imagine that on the straight eights, a simple flat plate to bolt the transmission onto the engine and a modified flywheel would suffice. No spacer needed, as the starter would bolt to the plate. That's basically my plan to bolt a Chevy trans to the straight eight, only I'm going to use the original Packard flywheel.

Posted on: 2008/1/15 13:19
 Top  Print   

Just popping in
Just popping in

packardclipper
See User information
Link to a Studebaker Club 727 conversion pdf report from 1990.

http://www.1956goldenhawk.com/newslpdf/56jon008.pdf

Didn't read it all, seems to be tilted towards the Packard V-8s. But, there are some supplier references.

I have had great luck with the 700R4s in my trucks, pulling heavy loads over 250K miles but, and I recommend it highly. Lockup and overdrive, both good for the long stroke eights, and not too different than the Ultramatic in that respect.
But, I understand they are tricky to get the kickdown/shifter cable adjusted for the throttle throw . Don't know, never put one in myself, yet. Have one in the shop rebuilt ready to put on a Suburban when I can get to it....

Good luck.

Posted on: 2008/1/16 2:35
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

David Baird
See User information
She might be happy with an Electromatic. My 47 works fine with it. It is my wife's car. Se likes it fine.
Just a thought to help keep a Packard in Stock condition.

Posted on: 2008/1/26 23:31
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved