Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
43 user(s) are online (27 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 42

Rich49, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 3 »

ultramatic
Home away from home
Home away from home

R H
See User information
56 tailshaft with needle bearing. used tailshaft bushing for sizeing...

rik, waitng for a other parts..

Attach file:

jpg  (80.32 KB)
4498_4f88a5ba546e3.jpg 1280X960 px

jpg  (62.56 KB)
4498_4f88a5fdc94b5.jpg 1280X960 px

Posted on: 2012/4/13 17:19
Riki
 Top  Print   

Re: ultramatic
Home away from home
Home away from home

R H
See User information
forgot to add, the shop said the casting that holds the bushing, comes out, if i would of known, i would of machined a piece and used a larger needle bearing.

rik

Posted on: 2012/4/13 21:22
Riki
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Let the ride decide
See User information
Is that parking gear scored? I didn't know needle bearings were used there.

Posted on: 2012/4/13 21:36
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

R H
See User information
hi,,no, fresh machineing,,, i am replaceing bushings with needle beaings..this is the first thing done..

of coarse picture is not the best...

rik

Posted on: 2012/4/13 21:41
Riki
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

BlackBeerd
See User information
Has anyone else successfully done this?

I'm betting on early failure. If that shaft isn't induction hardened and ground round (round is a relative term in machining) to bearing quality specs, it will beat up that bearing and fail very quickly.

Posted on: 2012/4/14 7:05
1954 Clipper Super Touring Sedan -5462
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

acolds
See User information
My concern would be if enoiugh oil pressure would provided as I think a bushing restricts oil while a roller bearing would let pressure out past the rollers. If this would be the case some parts may not get sufficent oil to do there intended job such as clutchs and cooling

Posted on: 2012/4/14 9:57
C:\Users\veron\Desktop\New folder\1956 Packard Caribbean\753.jpg
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

R H
See User information
Hi,,there was a shop in ca. that did it in the 60s, but i don't know just what bushings they replaced.

The hardening, i had it chrome hardened.,

rik

Posted on: 2012/4/14 11:20
Riki
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

R H
See User information
My thought is the other way, the needle would give more pressiure.,, the big problem with the ultramatic is when the bushings wear you lose oil pressure.

The only bushing with an oil hole are the bell housing and rear pump.

For the bell housing, i think the needle bearing, will reduce or stop the oil leak from the front seal.

Yes this is R&D project..but if i can get it to work, the transmission will last alot longer.

as the saying goes,,ANOTHER PACKARD FIRST,,,,

rik

Posted on: 2012/4/14 11:37
Riki
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

R H
See User information
green bay,,as far as heat,,i don't think so, that tail shaft is full of oil,

the only thing i am not sure of is that i had to grind the shaft down a few thousands. i am more worried of spliting the shaft. but i think it will be ok,,, ia am not going to race it. do burn outs etc...

what i might do is machine a new casting that holds the bushing. Since its comes out, then i can keep the org. size of shaft.

and get a larger needle bearing. machined to fit.

rik

Posted on: 2012/4/14 14:58
Riki
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

BlackBeerd
See User information
I would still be concerned even with plating the shaft. If its not round and size within a .0001, it's going to pound on the chrome and flake it off because the steel under the chrome will give a little. Yes, chrome is hard, but any bending of the base material is not good for it. And once things become out of size or out of round, you develope pressure points at each roller. Things fail very quickly after that.

If you can, shrink a 4150 sleeve on the shaft (it doesn't have to be thick .06 to .12 on a side) and then have it case hardened and ground. Pick a corresponding bearing and have it fitted in the housing. Get all your sizes and tolerances from the bearing manufacturer.

At the end of the day, you're not gaining much. a properly sized bronze bushing that is well oiled on a round, smooth shaft, will last for a very long time if the oil is clean.

Posted on: 2012/4/14 22:07
1954 Clipper Super Touring Sedan -5462
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 3 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved