Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
99 user(s) are online (54 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 99

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

39 / 40 Carpet Kit?
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Jim
See User information
I wondered if anyone offers pre-made carpet kits for 39 / 40 Super 8's. I would assume these are available somewhere but darned if I have found a supplier.

I assume they are bound around the edges, but am not even sure about that. The carpet in my car has long since been replaced with who knows what.

Thanks,
Jim

Posted on: 2008/12/14 1:02
 Top  Print   

Re: 39 / 40 Carpet Kit?
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
No kits that I'm aware of for these cars, but generally IMO you're better served by buying the closest match to the original in material and color and having it cut and bound. Many of these earlier senior Packards used hogshair which is readily available in quite a few colors. Bill Hirsch has a particularly large variety available.

Not sure what's correct for 39/40 seniors, but just a few years before that (34 as an example) the edges were indeed bound, and the underlayment was a kind of black oilcloth covered burlap with jute padding inside which was held to the wooden floors with snaps at the corners and the carpet itself had corner snaps as well to hold it in place. Try to find an original car if possible to get the details but at the rate people are restoring even good original cars this won't be too easy. You'll occasionally find cars where the front carpet was replaced but the rear, because of less wear, was not and this is a possible source for the details if you're interested in authenticity.

Posted on: 2008/12/14 9:58
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Jim
See User information
O_D,

Thanks for the info. It is such a simple carpet compared to the molded carpets in latter cars, there is probably no reason to offer kits because they are easy to make (easier said than done). I am about half-sure it is bound, but not 100%. There is apparently a very low mileage 39 Super in California that a PI club member owns. I will attempt to contact the owner and authenticate.

My car is really just a nice survivor / tour car, but I would like to at least attempt to put the right things in if I am going to the trouble to do the work.

Jim

Posted on: 2008/12/14 17:46
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
My car is really just a nice survivor / tour car, but I would like to at least attempt to put the right things in if I am going to the trouble to do the work.

Great philosophy, I admire you're attempt to keep it as a survivor but in doing what you must do, keeping it as correct as possible.

Posted on: 2008/12/14 17:50
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Jim
See User information
Flackmaster kindly provided feedback and photo from a low mileage 40 1803 at the museum in Ft. Lauderdale he visited earlier today. The carpet seems to be bound with material similar in nature to the wind lace material. Priceless opportunity to checkout an un-tampered with specimen.

Posted on: 2008/12/16 2:17
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
I agree, priceless opportunity. Aren't unrestored and unmutilated cars a great resource? Too bad they're generally not as appreciated as restored examples. The original carpet in the rear of my 34 Eight is also bound with a ribbed material which matches the windlace, pretty common practice I guess.

Posted on: 2008/12/16 9:47
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved