Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
97 user(s) are online (57 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 96

humanpotatohybrid, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

'39 Packard Six - Seeking help with Carter WA-1 carb and sourcing ignition components
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

greybeard
See User information
'39 Packard Six - 245 ci flathead inline 6 - The warmer the engine is from driving a few miles, the faster the idle becomes. I sought to perhaps adjust what I believe to be the idle screw - see attached photo, but it is too tight to be adjusted with my fingers, and the screw is positioned on the carb in a manner that makes it impossible to be accessed by even a stubby screwdriver. Using a pair of pliers seems rather crude. When the car arrived here in Oregon (elevation 4140') from Florida, it would not idle without some additional throttle. I had my mechanic tune the carb. More recently, the engine also begins to bog-down intermittently and lose significant power at highway speeds, and sometimes just dies, forcing me to find a shoulder to pull onto. Usually it can be restarted. I replaced the aftermarket electric fuel pump, because it's output was just dribbles and spurts. There is not a fuel filter installed, yet. Before I installed the new fuel pump I blew compressed air through the fuel line from the output side of the pump to the carb, with the line disconnected from the carb. There is a fuel pressure regulator just upstream from the carb. It was set @ 5. I adjusted it down to 4 in the hope that the black smoke (maybe unburned fuel) coming from the tailpipe would be reduced. At lower rpms/mphs the car runs better. Perhaps my issue is ignition-related, and replacing the coil, distributor cap, plugs and associated wires, rotor etc, is next. They look (I know looks can be deceiving) to be in decent condition. Can a forum member refer me to a source of these components? The auto parts chain stores do not seem to support old vehicles well.
Click to see original Image in a new window

Posted on: Today 18:16
 Top  Print   

Re: '39 Packard Six - Seeking help with Carter WA-1 carb and sourcing ignition components
Home away from home
Home away from home

tsherry
See User information
I had very similar issues with my '37 and my '40 (I'm in Spokane). I bought a couple of WA-1's off of ebay, rebuilt them both, and the problems were solved.

To be brutally honest, I have no idea why the rebuilt ebay versions worked, when the rebuilt carbs that were on those engines did not. I never did find ANY difference in them.

I think I paid about $40 each for the cores; the rebuild kits were not expensive either.

Double check to ensure you don't have any vacuum leaks. My '37 was a wreck in that department.

Edit: Both of my WA-1's were quite a bit later--like late '40's, and one as I recall came off a Jeep.

Posted on: Today 18:27
 Top  Print   

Re: '39 Packard Six - Seeking help with Carter WA-1 carb and sourcing ignition components
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

tom abel
See User information
if I'm looking at the picture correctly it seems there is no heat tube to the choke.
sounds like your choke is staying in the closed position hence the loss of power and cutting off and also the black smoke coming from tailpipe. take a look to make sure choke is operating properly.

Posted on: Today 19:53
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

TxGoat
See User information
Black smoke indicate too much fuel.... most likely a carburetor issue. Spark plugs may be fouled, too.

Posted on: Today 21:52
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved