Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
181 user(s) are online (130 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 180

BDeB, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Door removal on 1949 Packard.
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

zougeride
See User information
Finally,I can announce, my 1949 Packard 4 door is out of storage and in my garage. Returning to the states after almost a decade abroad I and my Packard are residing in "Exotic" Tomball, Texas!!! Preparations for roadworthyness are underway.

The bottom of the doors are in need of repair from water cascading past the failed rubber gasket material at the frame of the windows.

I want to take each door off, de-rust each, repair the damage, and replace the doors on the car.

I would appreciate any directions, tips, suggestions, and warnings as I prepare all materials for the job.

I have ordered a copy of the 1946-1950 Packard Service Manual and I strongly suspect there may be directions for door removal in the as yet arrived manual, but advice from those who have ventured where I have not ventured is always a good thing to know.

Zougeride
"Ask the man who has one in his garage!!!"

Posted on: 2012/12/7 9:57
 Top  Print   

Re: Door removal on 1949 Packard.
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Perhaps others can say if it is possible to remove the hinge base proper from the body side on a 22-23 series and leave the door side alone. If it is, that will simplify later alignment tremendously. I know on some cars it could be done although the screws are in extremely tight. Other cars, you couldn't access one of the screws with door on. If you can remove from body side, then removal of the cowl panel and liberal use of penetrating oil on the exposed threads beforehand would be a good idea. A proper size Phillips screwdriver or even an impact screwdriver is a must.

If it has to come off from the door side, a couple of things that might help. Before removing any bolts, scribe around the hinge attachment bars inside the doors to mark their locations on the plates. Also, when removing the bolts take extreme care to find and label any shims that might have been placed between the door and the hinge bars. There may be none but it is possible something was placed between those two surfaces and will stick -- only to fall out and then no idea where it goes.

Which ever side you choose for removal, support the bottom of the door while it is open so nothing starts to move or sag when the bolts are loosened. The top will also want to swing various directions so a helper would be nice to prevent unwanted movement. The doors are HEAVY and once loose, not very co-operative.

Posted on: 2012/12/7 10:26
Howard
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

zougeride
See User information
Howard,

Thank you for your concise and informative reply to my query.

I will follow your advice and remove the hinges from the fender side so as to keep the alignment correct.

The fenders need some mild restoration as well.

This wonderful Packard spent 30 years in dry storage before I purchased it, but the tin worm has done some damage to it.

I will probably have more questions for the forum as I continue. My problem now is the neighbors and others who gather whenever I open the garage door. I am happy to educate them as to the greatness of the Packard legend, but my teeth do politely go on edge when someone ask if it is a cadillac!!!

Thank you again and best wishes for a happy holiday and a better new year.

Zougeride
"Ask the man who has one in his garage!!!"

Posted on: 2012/12/10 8:29
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
I am happy to educate them as to the greatness of the Packard legend, but my teeth do politely go on edge when someone ask if it is a cadillac!!!

At least they don't ask you if Chevy or Ford made Packards.

Good luck on the door removal. Until your printed version comes, there is the service manual posted on site here. It has a fairly decent writeup in the body section on the doors with a couple of other things to look for when removing. Only thing they don't mention is to use lots of penetrating oil on the screws first.

Posted on: 2012/12/10 9:32
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

BDeB
See User information
Also be aware that there are 5 screws holding each hinge to the door post on the body. In addition to the 4 that can be easily seen there is one more buried inside the hinge assembly. The door needs to be wide open in order to access it.

Posted on: 2012/12/10 14:19
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

zougeride
See User information
BDeB,

Great information. It is usually that last bolt or screw that remains unknown.

Thank you.

Zougeride
"Ask the man who has one in his garage!!!

Posted on: 2012/12/11 10:55
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved