Happy 4th of July and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
147 user(s) are online (48 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 147

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Unknown bumper strap
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

James Kallman
See User information
In disassembling the rear bumper of my 1949 series 22 custom eight club sedan (body 2255 chassis 2206) I found an unusual strap. It was secured by the top bolt that connects the right rear bumper guard to the bumper. At the end of the strap was another hole and some electrical tape loosely wrapped around the strap. Two photos are attached. Does anyone have an idea what this strap might be for?
Click to see original Image in a new window

Attach file:

jpg  IMG_20240704_111013[1].jpg (2,091.39 KB)
4314_66872243aadce.jpg 2448X3264 px

jpg  IMG_20240704_110703[1].jpg (2,005.66 KB)
4314_668722897169f.jpg 3264X2448 px

Posted on: Today 17:31
 Top  Print   

Re: Unknown bumper strap
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
If there was nothing connected to the open end of the bracket but it was in a position to have something attached that could hang down and clear other parts of the body it might have been for an anti-static strap. Those were a fairly common item back in the day in areas with climate conditions where static electricity was an issue.

The straps are not as common today with tires being made with compounds that can conduct and dissipate the static fairly well but are still around. Here is a modern example.

Click to see original Image in a new window

I don't see enough of the bumper to be clear on where the opening in the bumper is located or if that is where you took off one of the uprights but if it is always exposed, another possibility might be for some kind of whip antenna.

Posted on: Today 18:10
Howard
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved