Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
102 user(s) are online (77 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 101

CartRich, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Leak-down Testing - Oddity?
Home away from home
Home away from home

Joe
See User information
Hey all. Got a leak down tester for really no other reason than to test my engine. I'll preface by saying that to my knowledge and limited experience, the car seems to run well. However, I found that in order to arrive at the compression stroke for cylinder no. 1, my rotor is pointing to where I would expect to see compression for cylinder 4. Following the firing order, 6 is in the 1 position, and so on. When the damper is showing TDC, the rotor is pointed to where I would expect to 1 to be in the firing order.

I will say that this is a 2302, 327. Distributor has been rebuilt, as has the vibration damper. I've had the cap to the oil pump off, but not the whole pump (I know the oil pump has a lot do with the orientation of the distributor). Inside the engine, the timing chain and sprockets are new. The timing chain went in as you would expect (with the dots facing each other). Tell tale signs show the engine was "rebuilt" at some point.

I ask because the instructions for the tester say that the "rotor points to cylinder coming up on compression." So is something off here, or am I overthinking it and it's probably fine. Thanks for helping this non-mechanic understand.

Edit: results of the leakdown test show an average of 25% loss on all cylinders, except, #8, which was high about 42%, just in the "moderate" loss region on the tool (audible hissing from the breather tube, along with gas smell... so intake valve and rings there it would seem).

Posted on: Yesterday 22:42
Joe B.
Greenville, NC
1950 Super Deluxe Eight Touring Sedan, Model 2302-5
327 w/ Ultramatic, 6v+
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved