Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
94 user(s) are online (69 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 93

Don B, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

'54 fuel filter coupling...
Home away from home
Home away from home

Bobby
See User information
hey guys,

I'm going to change the fuel filter on my 5406, and noticed a slight crack in the bolt that holds the coupling to the inlet tube. Before removing it and probably cracking it more, I wanted to have one available to install. Does anyone know the size of the inlet and outlet coupling? the tube coming in from the fuel pump is a different diameter than the one that then goes into the filter housing itself.

Thankie..

Posted on: 2012/8/9 10:12
1954 black Patrician, unrestored, mostly original, minty!!
 Top  Print   

Re: '54 fuel filter coupling...
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Not sure what you're calling a bolt. If you mean the adapter between tube and filter casting similar to this, then the typical Packard size is 5/16" inverted flare for the tube side to 1/8" pipe into the casting. There are also 90 degree fittings used but in the same sizes.

That does depend on the filter brand and different mfgs might have used different sizes in the casting. If you have an aftermarket filter, then maybe different. If this is not the piece you mean, then a picture would be helpful.

Attach file:

jpg  (22.58 KB)
209_5023dbeb500a9.jpg 543X606 px

Posted on: 2012/8/9 10:49
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Bobby
See User information
Thanks, Howard, that's it! So, I need to find a coupling that is 5/16-1/8? Any ideas on where that can be sourced, Kanter doesn't have it.

Posted on: 2012/8/9 11:28
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Most decent parts stores and many hardware & home centers should carry something. Here is O'Reillys listing of a packaged product. Napa generally has a cabinet of Weatherhead or other brand fittings in bulk instead of individual paks.

Attach file:

jpg  (31.77 KB)
209_5023e6f4e5902.jpg 553X505 px

Posted on: 2012/8/9 11:36
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Bobby
See User information
I still haven't been able to do this...

I was at NAPA and the 5/16" looked entirely too big...are you sure about the size, Howard? It looks right in the pic here, but up close, it looks entirely too large. Was it mis labelled?

Thanks...

Posted on: 2012/11/4 20:44
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Unless yours is different than mine it should be 5/16 inverted flare tube x 1/8 pipe. Any chance the fitting was mislabeled or if loose, the bins got messed up and clerk dug out the wrong one. I have run into both on occasion.

Attach file:

jpg  (12.12 KB)
209_50971e9d1cb05.jpg 716X97 px

Posted on: 2012/11/4 21:04
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Bobby
See User information
Thanks (as always!) Howard, I'll go to a different NAPA. This connector is from the fuel pump into the filter, what connector do I need for the outlet from the filter to the carb?

Posted on: 2012/11/4 23:42
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
A straight 1/8 pipe close nipple should do it. There is a part number but just says connector again. It's 1/8 pipe on both sides so just needs approx1/2 to 3/4 inch length or a close nipple to join the two..

Attach file:

jpg  (8.28 KB)
209_50974aad11b77.jpg 335X261 px

Posted on: 2012/11/4 23:49
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

WILLIS BIRKS
See User information
I had the same problem at NAPA, the bins are next to each other and I was given a 3/8 fitting and not the 5/16. Any time I go now I take some tubing with me so as to not mistakenly take the 3/8 fitting. They are very close, but as you now know side by side they are considerably different.

Posted on: 2012/11/5 9:14
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved