Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
229 user(s) are online (75 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 229

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Car History
Home away from home
Home away from home

Jim L. in OR
See User information
Hi Gang!

I've been away for a while with medical issues. I won't go into a lot of detail other than saying if any of you over 50 haven't had a blood PSA or a Prostate Exam (also known as The Finger MAKE THE DAMN APPOINTMENT! I waited three years and found the biggest lie about Prostate Cancer: It is all very slow growing. I went from lower to usual numbers to stage four in three years. There is no stage five. Fortunatly, the doctors feel very confident they got it all (I certainly hope they're right) so don't expect any Packard Estate Sales any time soon.

It is an ill wind that blows no good as the saying goes and belive it or not, so good came out of the afore mentioned mess. I was getting a perscription filled and as I was leaving the drive up pharmacy in my '55 there was a guy who had been standing and staring the whole time I was in line and who now began to wave me down. I rolled down the window and the first words out of his mouth were: "I used to own this car!". The guy in back of me was stuck waiting like I was so he was able to give me a little bit of history but we got together thru Portlandon, who is the member of this organization that told me about this same Packard almost 3 years ago.

Anyway according to Randy, the car was sold new to a wealthy woman who lived on an old estate outside Olympia, Washington. She drove it sparingly until around 1964; afterwhich it never left the carriage house!
It sat there until around 1972 with 33,000 miles or so on the odometer when she died. Her son, who lived in Oregon inherited the car and made several trips to Olympia to get it running again. Well, he got it running but the exhaust system decided to stay with the carriage house floor (what a fun drive to Portland THAT must have been). The son proceeded to clean it up, made easier by mom having the dealer put clear plastic seat covers on the seats. About a year later, Randy traded a '65 Lincoln for it. He drove it for a year or so and sold it to somone in Oregon City.

So, All that's left is to fill in the gap between 1974 and 1980.

I know how frustrating tracking down a history of a car can be but as this shows, never give up for it my just pop up out of the blue when you least expect it!

PS. Excuse any spelling errors as I can't seem to get the Spell Check to work.

Posted on: 2013/6/27 18:46
1951 200 Deluxe Touring Sedan
1951 200 Deluxe Touring Sedan (parts ?)
1951 Patrician Touring Sedan
1955 Patrician Touring Sedan
 Top  Print   

Re: Car History
Home away from home
Home away from home

Craig the Clipper Man
See User information
Jim:

First and most importantly, I want to tell you that I wish you the best in your fight against cancer. Your point about the PSA is spot on and I hope folks reading your message take it seriously.

I think it's amazing that you literally ran into that guy who had owned your car. I envy your luck finding out about the history of your car. I spent several months trying to track down my Clipper's past prior to 1982. All I know is that it was originally from Albuquerque. And that's about it.

Thank you for sharing your story.

Craig

Posted on: 2013/6/27 20:28
You can make a lot of really neat things from the parts left over after you rebuild your engine ...
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Craig the Clipper Man
See User information
Jim:

First and most importantly, I want to tell you that I wish you the best in your fight against cancer. Your point about the PSA is spot on and I hope folks reading your message take it seriously.

I think it's amazing that you literally ran into that guy who had owned your car. I envy your luck finding out about the history of your car. I spent several months trying to track down my Clipper's past prior to 1982. All I know is that it was originally from Albuquerque. And that's about it.

Thank you for sharing your story.

Craig

Posted on: 2013/6/27 20:28
You can make a lot of really neat things from the parts left over after you rebuild your engine ...
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

portlandon
See User information
Sorry to hear of your health. Glad to hear that you are giving cancer a good fight and it sounds like you've got a good handle on it.

I was excited to be able to get you and Randy reunited to get your Packard's history. Its so rare to find history all the way back to the original owner. The farthest back I have is to an owner back in 1976.

If you need anything Jim, don't hesitate to ask. I'd be happy to help you during your cancer fight.

Don.

Posted on: 2013/6/27 20:55
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Jim L. in OR
See User information
Thank you Craig for your kind words of encouragement. I too hope that Doctor's offices will be recieving lots of calls for appointments.

When Randy, a previous owner of my '55 came forward and started sharing it's story with me, you're search came to my mind first thing. All I can say is you never know when s bit of the picture will turn up.

I think that is one of the things sites like this can do. There are several cars I've owned that I'd be curious to know how they've fared. I can imagine a former owner who hears about this just might drop in asking if "anyone happens to have the Packard I learned to drive in?" I know I would. Maybe that could happen for you and your beautiful Clipper. I Hope so.

Posted on: 2013/6/28 2:37
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Jim L. in OR
See User information
Thank you Don for your encouragement and offer. I really appreciate them both. I've been remarkably lucky on both my Packards - in the history department and all the way around.

What is even more amazing to me is that you were responsible not only in getting my '55 and me together, but three years later, finding her history! You gotta be my Packard's godfather for sure!

Posted on: 2013/6/28 2:45
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Jack Vines
See User information
Sometimes one even comes back home. In late 1980s I sold my hot rod Sunbeam Tiger before my kids started driving. That car was just too fast and too dangerous for young drivers. I tracked it down and bought it back last year it had only two owners during the twenty-five years since and the last owner had put another $30,000 into it. I bought it back for what I sold it for, adjusted for inflation, so I got his investment for free.

jack vines

Posted on: 2013/6/28 5:33
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Jim L. in OR
See User information
Now that is a great story. That must have been wonderful - not only to find your Tiger again - but in better shape. I had a '65 Cadillac that drifted in and out of my hands. My non-car guy father even bought it once.
Most times I find them in sadder condition. One of the reasons it's hard for me to sell - at least locally.

Posted on: 2013/6/28 11:27
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Jim L. in OR
See User information
I forgot to mention. The name of the family that originally owned my '55 was Collins. No infor on whether the estate was named Collinswood or if "mom" at one time looked as beautful as Michelle Pfeiffer does even at 55 - but no doubt driving a Packard helped.

Posted on: 2013/6/28 14:20
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved