Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
74 user(s) are online (51 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 74

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

Treadle Vac Issue
Home away from home
Home away from home

Troy Taylor
See User information
This will probably open a can of worms as most T-V subjects do.
In Feb, I purchased several rebuild kits from the regular channels and Rebuilt the T-V. As normal new piston cups and seals were coated with Brake Fluid for assembly.
I went to install the T-V today and before I did, I removed the reservoir cover to insure their was no debris and give it a final clean out. when I opened the reservoir, I found black goo and shreds of o-ring every where. Since I only hand screwed the compensator valve in two months ago,( to be torqued at final inspection) I did not cut and shred it upon installation.
The O-ring for the compensator turned out to be Buna, which of course is NOT compatible with Brake or Steering fluids, the break down. I replaced it with a Butyl which is perfect for those fluids.

Querry: Was this a mistake when the kit was built and Buna got used or is this how they are coming out? If so, may lend validity to some of the recent issues we have been hearing about failures not too long after rebuilds.

Attach file:

jpg  (94.95 KB)
17226_552afe19cb1da.jpg 1280X960 px

jpg  (89.99 KB)
17226_552afe2672caa.jpg 1280X960 px

jpg  (96.54 KB)
17226_552afe3df0f67.jpg 1280X960 px

Posted on: 2015/4/12 18:22
[url=https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/
 Top  Print   

Re: Treadle Vac Issue
Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
Pack up the BTV and send it to Ed Strain or convert to a modern unit as many of us have done. OTHERWISE u're graasping for the wind with one hand and trying to hold oil in the rright hand.

Posted on: 2015/4/13 7:49
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7245
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
Quote from post #1 above:
" I purchased several rebuild kits
from the regular channels and Rebuilt the
T-V. As normal new piston cups and
seals were coated......"

It is not clear to me as to just exactly WHAT u are attempting. Are u just trying to rebuild a BTV or are u attempting to experiment with various kits to determine which kit is the best or to determine which parts from which kits are suitabe for a BTV rebuild as well as which parts from which kits that are NOT suitable?????

Posted on: 2015/4/13 8:03
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
That is a good question that I doubt that the average person with a failure would know. Would expect most with a problem would contact the place they bought the unit and either get a warranty exchange or send the faulty unit in for repair or even attribute it to the dreaded BTV and go to the next step. If that is the case they might never know the reason.

Kanter offered to pay shipping to get some failed units in to evaluate some of the reasons but I don't know if he had enough takers to get any answers. The few that do their own rebuilds might be suspicious of any junk inside but with all the advisements on site to have it professionally rebuilt wonder how many of the forum members actually do their own rebuilds.

I'd be more curious in hearing what the vendor has to say. If one vendor has an issue is it just his products or do the vendors source the kits from the same distributor.

Posted on: 2015/4/13 9:56
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Troy Taylor
See User information
HH,

I actually had Fred Kanter contact me a while back and we were and still are comparing findings on failures.

One thing we have both seen (Ill try to put this as delicately as I can not to step on toes)recent rebuild failures that has been sent in from a well known source, has had vent holes plugged with RTV Silicone.

Fred states he has been getting several of these sent in to Kanter for rework. I have only seen two, One reservoir vent plugged full and one too much on the Can and it had made a hardened ring inside the top of the piston can not allowing the piston to return to the top to get that 1/4 throw for the compensator to open.

That being said, I do not personally feel these are the root issues that are causing problems. I Hope people take advantage of Fred's offering so we can build some data for everyone.

Posted on: 2015/4/13 10:09
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Let the ride decide
See User information
How would I know if I had this part in a kit I bought?

Which brake fluid is it not compatible with?

Posted on: 2015/4/13 10:11
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
Quote from post #1 above:
" The O-ring for the compensator turned
out to be Buna, which of course is NOT
compatible with Brake or Steering fluids,
the break down. I replaced it with a Butyl
which is perfect for those fluids."

ok. So where did u get the correct Butyl o-ring??? From one of the "several kits" u ordered or did u source the butyl o-ring YOURSELF???

Posted on: 2015/4/13 10:35
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Troy Taylor
See User information
I got it myself.

Posted on: 2015/4/13 10:39
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
ok. thanks. So then maybe ALL of the "several kits" u ordered back in Feb (see your post #1 above) ALL have Buna o-rings???? WHICH meansthat NONE of the "several kits" are suitable for rebuilding the BTV. Which means that there is no point to order ANY kit from ANY supplier. Which puts us right back to to my original statement as maade in post #2 above.

Posted on: 2015/4/13 10:49
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
Quote from post #1 aabove:

" Querry: Was this a mistake when the kit
was built and Buna got used or is this
how they are coming out? If so, may lend
validity to some of the recent issues we
have been hearing about failures not too
long after rebuilds."

Good question. But were the o-rings from all of the other "several kits" ordered also Buna????

Posted on: 2015/4/13 15:37
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved