Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
240 user(s) are online (106 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 239

109settle, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Ultramatic Transmission leaking
Just popping in
Just popping in

fullercustoms
See User information
Hello,

I have a 1956 Executive with ultramatic transmission (no buttons) and it has a pretty good leak coming from the transmission cover when running to the point of a good drip.

Transmission works great as long as its full, and it still shifts great.

I have found some info regarding the torque converters being leaky, and that could be however I was wondering do these have a serviceable from pump seal? or is it most likely the Torq Converter?

If there is a serviceable front seal, is it pretty straight forward? and does anyone have a part #

Posted on: 5/30 12:17
 Top  Print   

Re: Ultramatic Transmission leaking
Home away from home
Home away from home

humanpotatohybrid
See User information
There are two drain plugs in the converter. They don't tend to come loose, but that's option 1.

Option 2 is the main O-ring or the stub shaft gasket. 3.60212, 3.614 in this diagram.
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/partslist/viewplate.php?cat=15&PlateNumber=37&partslist=1955-1956

Option 3 is the bell housing seal or gasket. 3.514, 3.512 in herehttps://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/partslist/viewplate.php?cat=15&PlateNumber=35&partslist=1955-1956

The parts diagrams are accessible by the link to the left, Factory Parts List then Part Plates.

Note that the numbers I gave you are the group numbers. Click the link on the page and it gives you the part number.

Also just to check, is the trans main case made from aluminum or steel? If it's steel it's a 55 trans, but since you have push button, I doubt it's been swapped.

Also you need to do the roll pin install when you drop the trans to keep the shifter from loosening. I can send more detail on that later.

Also if you open the converter you MUST peen balance marks on the parts. Follow the manual.

Posted on: 5/30 12:57
'55 400. Needs aesthetic parts put back on, and electrical system sorted.
'55 Clipper Deluxe. Engine is stuck-ish.
 Top  Print   

Just popping in
Just popping in

fullercustoms
See User information
This is very helpful. Thank you

I will have to get underneath the car and take a closer look. I would imagine its a 56 trans since its an end of production car, but better to be sure.

Posted on: 5/30 13:47
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

humanpotatohybrid
See User information
Gotcha. The 55 and 56 trans are 1 to 1 with the models. So it would have to have been swapped. I say that only because some parts are different between them.

BTW, manual is in the Literature Archive.

Posted on: 5/30 14:57
'55 400. Needs aesthetic parts put back on, and electrical system sorted.
'55 Clipper Deluxe. Engine is stuck-ish.
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

R H
See User information
If it's leaking from the rear main area.

It's the converter seal. Which is on the bell housing.

Other 2 options. Manual valve seal. Or. Throttle valve seal.

Or the trans pan.

Except pan.

Trans needs to removed..

The way I look at it. If it'd not a recent rebuild.

While it's out. Might as well rebuild it.

Posted on: 5/30 18:10
Riki
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved