Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
122 user(s) are online (86 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 121

Don B, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

How Do I Raise My Clipper?
Home away from home
Home away from home

Craig the Clipper Man
See User information
Hello All:

I have a 1955 Clipper Constellation in great shape, but I have a problem -- the back end of the car seems too low to the ground and I would like to raise it a couple of inches. I have factory exhaust deflectors that I would like to keep on the car, but I dread dips in the road, inclined driveways, or everything else that causes the miserable scraping sound, especially when I am backing up.

One of the members of a local Packard club tried to explain that there is a method to raise the level by using aligator clips to sort of short the self-leveling motor, causing the back end to rise. I listened, but I could not figure out what they meant and have not found anything about it in the owner's or service manuals.

What I would really appreciate is for somebody out there familiar with the self-leveling system to provide a sort of step-by-step method of how to do this, keeping in mind that I have very little knowledge of this system.

Thank you.

Posted on: 2013/2/16 19:05
You can make a lot of really neat things from the parts left over after you rebuild your engine ...
 Top  Print   

Re: How Do I Raise My Clipper?
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
When you mention someone said to use jumper wires, is the leveler inoperative and this would be a manual adjustment on a one time or as needed basis? Or is the leveler working fine and the back end just needs to be leveling and stopping a couple of inches higher? Different procedures entirely depending on issue.

Posted on: 2013/2/16 19:46
Howard
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Randy Berger
See User information
It sounds as though you need a permanent adjustment.
This is done by adjusting the turnbuckle that is part of the rod from the left main torsion bar to the TL control. That is covered in the manual. The turnbuckle is located approximately in the center of the car and can be accessed from the drivers side. This is pictured on page 22 of the "1955 Service training manual".

Posted on: 2013/2/16 19:50
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Thomas Wilcox
See User information
I'm apologize for my frivolity, but when I saw the title of the post, I pictured symbols, potions and incantations.

Cheers,

Tom

Posted on: 2013/2/17 13:46
--
Thomas Wilcox
34 Roadster, [url=https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/r
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Craig the Clipper Man
See User information
Thank you, HH56 and Randy:

First, the leveler is working fine, as is the rest of the suspension. I just need to adjust the height of the back end. I appreciate the reference to the service manual that I do have. I;ll look it up and see what I can figure out.

And 34Pack, if you happen to know of any particular spell or incantation that I can use to fix and maintain my Clipper without having to spend any money, I would be forever in your debt!

Posted on: 2013/2/17 16:04
You can make a lot of really neat things from the parts left over after you rebuild your engine ...
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

patgreen
See User information
Once you get it level you can figure where to go next. Putting longer links in the front suspension may help, depending on how much you need to go up and what is already there......

Posted on: 2013/2/19 15:09
When two men ride the same horse, one has to be in the back...
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved