Happy 4th of July and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
116 user(s) are online (71 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 115

William Grosz, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

I should have known everything was working too well......
Home away from home
Home away from home

patgreen
See User information
The passenger door on my 56 Patrician has a new trick: It is permanently locked, although it can be opened from the inside.

The door has been rattling a lot in the past few weeks.

Key turns the lock, but apparently is getting no real action.

Manual details how to get the lock out.

Any suggestions?

Posted on: 2013/4/28 19:00
When two men ride the same horse, one has to be in the back...
 Top  Print   

Re: I should have known everything was working too well......
Home away from home
Home away from home

Joseph Earl
See User information
My suggestions are:

1. Don't park with the driver's side against a wall or other object that would require you to exit from the passenger door
2. If you must, be sure to leave the passenger window down
3. You might try removing the door panel to retrieve the rattling part, and/or replace/reconnect it to the locking assembly.
4. If that doesn't work, get some earplugs, and apply answers 1and 2.

Attach file:

jpg  (32.12 KB)
4371_517dbe69602f0.jpg 483X720 px

Posted on: 2013/4/28 19:27
Joey

(?=#=?)

"If chrome got me home, I'd for sure still be stuck somewhere."

[url=http://pac
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Need a little more clarification. You say key turns the lock. Does the button still not push in when you turn the lock to the unlock position or does it push in but not release the door latch so door can open. I can think of a few things depending on exactly what it does. One is an adjustment, others are possible parts failures.

Posted on: 2013/4/28 19:33
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

patgreen
See User information
Love the cartoon. Slow down....

Anyhow, the door is fully operable from inside the car, but the external lock remains locked.

When using the key (outside....) the key turns against resistance and you think you have it...but you don't. It remains locked.

It was driving so well this weekend maybe it was tryting to keep going......

Posted on: 2013/4/29 0:09
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Looks as if your mechanic is going to have to look so here's a couple of photos of the right front door latch mechanism to show what is happening. The photo of the latch assy was borrowed from packard1's ebay website & latch is for sale if it turns out you need a new latch assy.

The lock cylinder and pushbutton is an assembly held in the handle by a spring and retainer. The entire button assembly pushes and rotates a rectangular shaft which inserts into the latch mechanism. When the cylinder is turned to lock or unlock, the rectangular rod twists a part of the latch which moves a mechanism up or down. That up or down movement inserts or removes a block in the path of the part the button pushes against. That blocking action prevents or allows the button to push in. If the button will not push in at all that mechanism is not moving for some reason. Possible causes are the pot metal end of cylinder and button where the rod attaches has broken or the latch mechanism itself has broken.

When the button is pushed, a steel collar in the middle of the rectangular rod pushes against a part of the latch. When pressed, that piece in the latch moves a mechanism which lifts a spring loaded lever. That lever is preventing the outside toothed wheel from rotating. Once the lever is lifted, the wheel can rotate & the door can open. If you can push the button in but the door won't release the usual cause is that steel collar which is held by a setscrew to the rectangular shaft has slipped so the latch mechanism isn't pushed in far enough to raise the spring loaded lever.

Being able to open the door from the inside handle moves that blocking mechanism out of the way so would make me think the problem is in the outside handle and cylinder assy.

Attach file:

jpg  (19.21 KB)
209_517e78edeca7f.jpg 640X260 px

jpg  (42.09 KB)
209_517e78f79bf7a.jpg 574X588 px

jpg  (66.17 KB)
209_517e790507e91.jpg 885X785 px

Posted on: 2013/4/29 8:43
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

patgreen
See User information
Got a funeral for one of our members this Thursday. After which I'll give this a shot.

Locks were redone last year FWIW,

Have a new spring clip for that door as well, sooooo

I can't thank you enough for this. The manual is a great start, but this kind of advice is what makes this site priceless.

A large kudos to all of you who provide helpful advice like this, with extra thanks for the extra times you have had to repeat your words.

Posted on: 2013/4/29 16:41
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Joseph Earl
See User information
I continue to be amazed and impressed by the depth of knowledge and quality of photos posted regularly by Howard (HH56). Ubiquitous and expeditious are his posts- one rarely has to wait more than one hour to discover a reply that contains a comprehensive and educated solution to all kinds of issues on every model imaginable. I don't know how he does it, but if there were some kind of award or honorarium for his contributions, I would be one of the first ones to second the motion to elect him to the position of Grand Packard Master King.

Thank you, Howard, you are amazing.

Posted on: 2013/4/29 17:45
Joey

(?=#=?)

"If chrome got me home, I'd for sure still be stuck somewhere."

[url=http://pac
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Randy Berger
See User information
Well deserved and well said!
Howard is the Merlin of Packardinfo.

Posted on: 2013/4/29 19:11
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Aw shucks, you guys are going to swell my head and it already hurts.

Just hope the problem turns out to be minor and in the area I think it is. Please keep us advised as to what the mechanic actually finds.

Posted on: 2013/4/29 19:23
Howard
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Randy Berger
See User information
I wuz going to wax loquacious but thought better of it.

Attach file:

jpg  (2.25 KB)
23_517f1d650f5f0.jpg 86X148 px

Posted on: 2013/4/29 20:24
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved