Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
77 user(s) are online (58 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 77

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

When did you discover your car had incorrect parts?
Home away from home
Home away from home

patgreen
See User information
After a year of slight overheating where it seemed I tried every possible solution to the problem, my radiator popped a seam and I then learned my car had been recored by a very cheap person--and that core was too small and that was what was causing the overheating.

It occurs to me that our cars could easily have incorrect parts like distributors, radiators, plugs, generators and more.

Have you been stymied by this kind of experience? Share your story with us. How did you discover that something was wrong (and how long did that take?) and what were the consequences? Funny? Sad? Infuriating? Unfixable?

??????????????????????????????????????????????????

Posted on: 2013/10/8 21:30
When two men ride the same horse, one has to be in the back...
 Top  Print   

Re: When did you discover your car had incorrect parts?
Home away from home
Home away from home

patgreen
See User information
Innocence? Embarrassment? Shyness?

Come on now; you are among friends here....

Posted on: 2013/10/9 15:39
When two men ride the same horse, one has to be in the back...
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
Okay Pat, here's my contribution. My '55 Clipper Super came to me with a Delco generator. These junior Juniors came with Auto Lite electrical equipment. I bought an AL starter and generator off of eBay. I overhauled the generator and installed it as I wanted to have original type equipment. Interestingly, the Auto Lite and Delco generator brackets are different. The bracket had to be shimmed to fit the Delco generator.

Not uncommon to have a mix of parts on the almost 60 year old Packards, the 55s and 56s being the youngest ones. Scarce parts, uninformed mechanics, owners just trying to keep the cars running, and whatever else contributed to these situations.

Next?

(o{}o)

Posted on: 2013/10/9 17:30
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

D-train
See User information
I've had a number of surprises...

1.)A year after buying my 2271, the block developed a crack. So I replaced the engine (which wasn't original anyway).

2.)I knew that the car was "restored" some time in the 90's... As I started removing everything to get the engine out, everything that I took apart/off NEVER had two of the same type bolts. So whoever did the restoration, apparently couldn't keep track of ANY of the bolts.

...and three. Let me preface this by stating that when I bought the car, wasn't all that knowledgable on the numbers on these cars...

3.)I purchased Mr. Neal's book in preparation for my restoration (which I planned on being a much better quality that was performed previously) I was running the numbers and looked at the Brigg's body tag. ...it said "2392". So along with mismatched bolts, they lost the correct Brigg's body tag. While at least the dataplate on the cowl appears to be correct.

Mark

Posted on: 2013/10/15 16:28
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved