Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
107 user(s) are online (70 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 105

Marvin, BDeB, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

R-10 transmission
Home away from home
Home away from home

John Miller
See User information
A local wrecking yard has an R-10 overdrive transmission. Does this transmission contain parts that can be used to rebuild a Packard overdrive transmission? I know the R-7, R-9 and R-11 are Packard but what is an R-10?
thank You
John Miller

Posted on: 2012/1/22 21:17
 Top  Print   

Re: R-10 transmission
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
I don't think I've ever seen an R10 but according to some Chevy and Ford forums, R10 is a lighter duty version of the R11 and maybe a slightly different case. Used on some of their lighter cars. If so, I expect it works out the same as the R9 and R9A (or R9-1) as to interchangeability.

I remember a forum post that said Packard and Stude actually used a later version than R11. May be true as case and lockout switch different on 48-50, 51-4 and again on 55-6. Still looking for a good interchange and OD book that would have the answer.

Did you happen to see the R10? Just curious how it compares to the R11 used 48-50 and the later units. The lockout switch is the big difference I think. Early 11 has switch in cabin, then 51-4 has switch on OD unit and 55-6 has none at all and is the one suspected of being the later version.

Attach file:

jpg  (28.63 KB)
209_4f1cd390e10ff.jpg 517X315 px

jpg  (24.02 KB)
209_4f1cd39974fd4.jpg 525X382 px

Posted on: 2012/1/22 21:25
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Peter Packard
See User information
G'day all, R10 Trans is a BIG NO for Packard R6, R9, R11 Overdrives. The R10 components do not fit in any way. shape or form. The solenoid may however work. I have a number of R10 overdrives and they do not fit into Packards. Best Regards Peter Toet

Posted on: 2012/1/23 4:05
I like people, Packards and old motorbikes
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Would be curious if you have more info on the R10 and parts not being interchangeable. Is it a different mechanical design or just smaller or much lighter duty components that are the problem. Is the case separate like ours with different boltholes that won't fit or one of the more integrated trans/OD combos like some more modern cars use.

Posted on: 2012/1/23 10:01
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Peter Packard
See User information
Cases are different, gears are different, bolt up to trans etc is different. R10 is around 80% size to R6, R9, R11. They appear to be quite durable in the Stude application although I have seen a few dead ones. PT

Posted on: 2013/1/27 18:08
I like people, Packards and old motorbikes
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved