Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
110 user(s) are online (88 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 108

Peter, BigKev, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

What's Your Favorite Packard Engine and Why?
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Jim
See User information
As I have read various threads for a good while I see mention of various engine mods. such as the V8 oil pump(which the dedicated thread has proven very interesting and educational), challenges with block and head cracking on early generation 8's, hydraulic lifters collapsing on 327 & 356's. These are obviously all worst case scenarios.

My question of the day is, in the opinions of any and all, what is the best, most reliable engine Packard built. No holds bared 2, 4, 6, 8, or 12 or V-8. I am confident there will be many opinions and explanations as to why. This could be a very interesting read.

Jim

Posted on: 2008/11/6 21:54
 Top  Print   

Re: What's Your Favorite Packard Engine and Why?
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Randy Berger
See User information
Although I take a back seat to no one in my appreciation of Packard's V8, their best engine from all I have read was the nine-main bearing 356.

Posted on: 2008/11/6 22:26
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

David Baird
See User information
I concur with the 356. It is very smooth with great power. I own two of them and have built 3 others. I compare it against the 320, 288, and 327s. However the power to weight ratio would probably be the 327 in the 120" wheel base cars.

Posted on: 2008/11/6 23:09
North Hills Packards
2 - 1949 Super Convertibles
1949 Club Sedan
1947 Custom Sedan
Completed a book on the 22nd & 23rd series cars
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
Small block Chevy. GUFAW!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted on: 2008/11/6 23:14
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7245
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

David Baird
See User information
OK how about the 426 hemi?

Posted on: 2008/11/6 23:20
North Hills Packards
2 - 1949 Super Convertibles
1949 Club Sedan
1947 Custom Sedan
Completed a book on the 22nd & 23rd series cars
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Eric Boyle
See User information
I would have to say the postwar straight 9 main eights, simply because they have all the improvements that Packard could do to the straight eight. You don't have to remove the distributor to remove the head like you do on the older straight eights, the '54 359 has more HP than all the prewar engines, including the V12, (I can't find figures on torque, other than the V12 having 322 lb-ft) and parts are cheaper as well as readily available. Their simplicity of design and ease of workability makes it the best Packard engine, IMHO. (With the V12 running a very close second, followed by the Packard V8)

Posted on: 2008/11/7 1:11
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Dave Kenney
See User information
I also like the 356 engine. It was used in the senior cars for 10 years and during that time Packard offered the most horsepower of any American production car. The 327 and 359 9 main and even the 288 and 327 5 main engines were based upon this engine. It is reliable, sturdy, smooth running , quiet and has plenty of torque. My other favorites include the original Twin Six, the 385 Super Eight engine and the Twelve which were magnificent in their respective time periods.

Posted on: 2008/11/7 9:00
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
In their respective eras I think the Dominant 6 (the "48") and the first Twin Six were Packard's finest automotive engine accomplishments, followed very closely by the 32-39 Twelve. In the postwar era I think all the 9-main L-8s were superb. Of those I think the 356 probably ranks first with the 327 9-main and 359 close behind.

Posted on: 2008/11/7 9:19
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Jim
See User information
This is proving most interesting. Seems the 356 is a favorite among many. I share the same sentiment. The only drawbacks I have ever heard in the 356 is collapsed lifters. This seems likely because of neglect and lack of oil changes.

Randy, I have always admired V-8's from afar, but since visiting this forum and reading V-8 threads, I have begun to really admire the V-8 engines. A number of our local PI region members tour in V-8's with superb speed and reliability. The oil pump issue seems to be beatable. I can honestly see a V-8 car in my future.

Turbopackman makes an excellent point about the leap in development after the war. I had a 288 in a 51 and a 327 in a 54 and both seemed to work well. Great point about distributor locations as well.

I personally think the 282 when compared to the 320 was an excellent engine in the '39 and earlier cars.

An interesting thread, thanks to all who contributed so far.

Posted on: 2008/11/8 0:07
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

mikec
See User information
i only have limited experience with the straight 8s, but i love the way my friends 54 288 runs! for me, its a tossup between that and my 374 V8.

the PT boat v-12s were pretty awsome too!

Posted on: 2008/11/8 8:27
Daily Driver:
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved