Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
195 user(s) are online (87 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 194

greybeard, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2) 3 »

Re: Alternator Wiring Question
Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
"I do kind of like the added #10 in parallel. It would still leave 4' or so from ammeter to solenoid original but better than 15'. A second parallel for that section might work. I'm not terribly confident his mechanic would be the best one to do it though."

The mechanic may have simply done a few preliminary wire mock ups for testing and will finalaize later. Who knows but him. Either way he needs to be supplied with the wireing diagram to follow either himself or by outside recommendations.

Good point about the paralell to the solenoid.

Posted on: 2012/8/19 9:51
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7245
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
AS HH56 indicates above the likely hood of exceeding wire capacity is very low. Packard offered AC, many had aftermarket spotlites, foglites accessories added and factory trailor hitch offered.

However, OUTput of alternator higher than generator is not an argument for larger wire.

Consider the following two different configurations BOTH with wire that is too small (say a 5 amp wire rate ):

A 10 amp power SOURCE connected to a 30 amp demand.
OR
A 30 amp power source connected to a 10 amp demand.

Since the wire connecting them is only rated for 5 amps then the wire will fry in EITHER case.

Since the OEM Packard wireing was just fine for supporting many accessories such as AC, spotlites, foglites railor towing etc then the higher output of the new alternator is not an issue or not very likely to be at all.

Posted on: 2012/8/19 10:02
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
What I was concerned about with the larger wire is the max alternator output not the continuous draw. The generator regulator maxes around 30 amp no matter the draw so the #10 in the wrapped loom should never exceed that and is within design. With the internal regulator in alternator, what is the max output it would allow. An output of 40-50 amps more than briefly could do damage in a #10 but might not in an 8 or with parallel 10's..

Owen-Dyneto's experience with the shorted cigar lighter a few months ago is a good example. His generator was screaming and ammeter pegged for several minutes when that happened -- but no damage. Could the same be said with a higher alternator output and the same size wire down that entire loom length.

Possibly a fuse or CB rated 35-40 amp at the start might be appropriate although not sure what would be worse - chance of burned wire or running the alternator unloaded if fuse blew.

Posted on: 2012/8/19 10:16
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
Doesn't matter. If 40+ amps is demanded ANYWHERE in the cars electrical system then the BATTERY will supply it up to maybe 500 amps or more. So if generator can't supply over 30 amps then the battery WILL supply it. So what would it matter if excesive amperage is supplied by the battery or alternator capable of producing it????

Posted on: 2012/8/19 12:36
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
I suppose one possibility to protect against excessive amperage from alternator would be run a SECOND charging wire directly from alt to battery much like he has now. Not sure how that would upset the ammeter causing false readings. Electricity takes path of least resistence.

Not sure that would have any effectiveness or not to protect against over amperage. IT's something an EE would have to answer unless someone here in this forum knows.

Bottom line: if the alternator, generator or anything else can not supply the demand then the BATTERY will supply the demand. So i doubt that there is any problem with OEM wire gauge unless there is excessive accessories added well in excess of anything offered by Packard or the aftermarket of the mid 50's..

Posted on: 2012/8/19 12:42
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
Since there seems to be some concern about excessive alternator output then To be on the extra safe side just run a parallel wire from the alt to the fuse box splice and then to the starter solenoid. Just run along the outside of the oem taped wire loom. Then tape around all of that to boot. I would NOT open up the OEM loom to replace the OEM wire. Just run an extra one along the outside of OEM loom.

PrOBABLY don't need a #10 parallel. A #14 probably good enuf, i don't know. Have to do the math on it usin g the SUmmit racing chart.

Posted on: 2012/8/19 13:01
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
Here is an AWG chart for wire diamter and amperage etc.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/American_wire_gauge

Posted on: 2012/8/19 13:08
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Quote:
If 40+ amps is demanded ANYWHERE in the cars electrical system then the BATTERY will supply it up to maybe 500 amps or more. So if generator can't supply over 30 amps then the battery WILL supply it. So what would it matter if excesive amperage is supplied by the battery or alternator capable of producing it????

Difference is the battery will supply thru various circuits so much per wire. If one item draws an excessive amount, it's fuse will blow or that wire will smoke quickly. Some items are directly fed off the battery.

If, however, say an AC was on high, headlights on, radio etc were all on at once and drawing a sustained 35-40 amps the battery and generator would supply and replenish within 10ga limits even though the various wires are calling for more which the battery is supplying. Key word in that situation is limits and the ammeter may even show a discharge if the generator can't keep up.

The alternator on the other hand with it's higher output would try to replenish that larger amount continuously thru one singe wire rated at a lower capacity than all the wires are drawing together. While the generator regulator would limit to a safe level, the alternator regulator would allow more amps. I'm just concerned the excess could heat up that wire and cause hidden if not outright damage. I know I'd feel better with at least a parallel situation. I agree there is no reason to open the loom. Get some of the split loom from various places and lay new wire on top of existing and cover both.

Posted on: 2012/8/19 13:11
Howard
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
At any rate, we still haven't helped answer patgreen's question. As far as I know, no one has published a printed step by step or any pictures of what they did in a conversion. I have only heard of the one in Australia done on a 56 but certainly there must be others.

All this discussion may be off the wall but if applicable, will take someone at least familiar with electrical to do them. I know if I were doing it on my car just to cover the contingencies, the wire would be paralleled whether truly needed or not.

Posted on: 2012/8/19 13:24
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
Quote:
"The alternator on the other hand with it's higher output would try to replenish that larger amount continuously thru one singe wire rated at a lower capacity than all the wires are drawing together."

Yes. Good point.

ANd
"If I were doing it on my car just to cover the contingencies, the wire would be paralleled whether truly needed or not"

Yes, i believe that is excellent advice that should also be followed.

Posted on: 2012/8/19 15:44
 Top  Print   

« 1 (2) 3 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved