Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
266 user(s) are online (127 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 266

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2)

Re: Carving 6 volt battery
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Dave Kenney
See User information
O-D, I agree completely. I have seen many batteries freeze solid over the years, even new batteries, if the battery is discharged in very cold temperatures. The case splits and the fluid leaks out when it thaws. Yes they can indeed explode if charged when frozen!
To aid cold weather starting in addition to an electric engine block heater I have an electric battery blanket. It really helps like yesterday when it was -36C (-32.8F). today it is a balmy -19 (-2F).

Posted on: 2013/1/23 12:27

Re: Carving 6 volt battery
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
It's pretty rare here in NJ to get overnights below 0 deg. F, and I've never needed a battery blanket or engine block heater. But years back when I occasionally took the 34 out in the depths of the winter I used a dipstick heat to heat the oil overnight. They generally are pretty easy to use on L-head engines because the dipstick is usually a straight shot down into the oil pan; on V8s with dipsticks that make a bend or two, impossible. The dipstick heater I have is rated at 50 watts, 110 volts.

I guess the reason frozen batteries explode when charged is that the hydrogen gas (remember the Hindenburg!) which is generated by the charging process has it's path to the vent caps blocked by the frozen electrolyte.

Posted on: 2013/1/23 14:02
 Top  Print   

« 1 (2)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved