Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
205 user(s) are online (123 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 204

2T9-626, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2)

Re: Gravel Shield Anti-Squeak Mute...what the heck is it?
Home away from home
Home away from home

Ragtime Kid
See User information
Wow, what interesting conversation this has sparked!

My car was made in Dec. '41 and I'm happy to leave it without the front shield.

In that case, and returning to the original question of this thread, would there be a use for these "Anti Squeak Mutes" on the rear gravel shield or should I just send them back to Steele?

Posted on: 2015/4/14 14:17
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
My car was made in Dec. '41

Just curious, how did you determine that? If it's from the date on the patent plate, that's the date sold, not the date manufactured. I'm not aware of any Packard records of that era that give the date of actual manufacture.

Posted on: 2015/4/14 14:51
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Ragtime Kid
See User information
The data plate under the left hood is blank. The part that's supposed to be stamped with the Dealer Info was never filled out. I have always wondered what that indicates...whether this plate has been changed somewhere along the lines but it looks to be quite old and original.

My engine has the numbers 12 19 41 stamped into the casting at the top of the head near the front. Just assumed that was the manufacturing date. Not so?

Posted on: 2015/4/14 16:29
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Not so.

The date on the cylinder head is the date it was cast in the foundry; it was certainly later than that by the time it was machined and worked it's way into inventory for later engine assembly. It's not uncommon that cylinder heads were replaced, especially those with 10mm spark plugs, so it might be interesting to compare that date to the casting date of the engine block. Casting dates do not tell nor are then even good predictors of the build date for the finished vehicle.

Best predictors of early, mid, or late assembly are a combination of engine numbers, theft-proof numbers, and vehicle numbers but that to is somewhat imprecise as we really don't know how the individual models and body styles were sequenced into a production schedule. But if all 3 numbers are either very early or very late, then at least you can say you have an early or late vehicle (or something in between).

It is indeed a shame that many patent plates were not stamped at the time of delivery - it deprives current owners of a bit of a connection to the car's past.

Posted on: 2015/4/14 17:22
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Ragtime Kid
See User information
Very interesting! Thanks for the information!

Posted on: 2015/4/14 17:48
 Top  Print   

« 1 (2)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved