Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
230 user(s) are online (98 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 4
Guests: 226

Ozstatman, Packard Don, Joe, PackardGirl1951, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2)

Re: Is replacing the wood on a '20's vintage body difficult?
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

dongle
See User information
Thanks for the tip. I had been aware of this book before. If you read the 'reviews' the book seems more geared toward work on the exterior of a woody.

Any other thoughts on books???

BTW Thomas I'm very glad to see the site up and running - looks good.

Dongle

Posted on: 2009/12/7 21:06
 Top  Print   

Re: Is replacing the wood on a '20's vintage body difficult?
Home away from home
Home away from home

Highlander160
See User information
Is replacing the wood on a '20's vintage body difficult?

One would have to define 'difficult' for a truely correct answer. Sheetmetal, paint, wood, chrome prep, mechanical, upholstery, it's all somewhat 'difficult' meaning it's something you'd have to be ready to see through. Sometimes the mindset you have going in makes a job harder or easier. DO like this type of work? If so it's not at all difficult. It's the 'Juice' that keeps us coming back for more. I do these things for a living so armed with that I'll flip you some of the best advice you can get. Don't over-think it. Look at it and replicate what's there. Just like a cabinet or door jamb in your house the wood has to retain nails or screws, end of story. The wood gets you a close shape to the sheetmetal. A simple strip of cotton type material where it might chaffe on the metal and cause a squeek. Use good glue. Don't get all anal about slotted screws being required unless it's visible in the completed car (they're not torn apart for judging!). But the last most sound advise I can give is to enjoy it.

Posted on: 2009/12/10 10:27
 Top  Print   

« 1 (2)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved