Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
296 user(s) are online (103 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 294

Soybeanfarmer1 , kevinpackard, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2)

Re: Packard overheat
Home away from home
Home away from home

Larry51
See User information
If you have fuel and spark then you have the fundamentals, so it could be some 'subset' of these that's the problem . . .

Does any cylinder fire when you are cranking? Is it totally dead? (Totally dead would tend to indicate fuel mixture / timing badly wrong / insufficient or intermittent spark / electrical problem / air supply).

The ether spray is a good idea, and don't you love the stuff? (Over here we have a brand called 'Start Ya Bastard'). Just beware that you tread cautiously with ether based sprays. I took the eyebrows off my son when his engine backfired while using the stuff. We'd been cranking it for a few seconds so the ether built up quite a bit. Hell I laughed. HUGE blue flash and thunderclap explosion! He couldn't see what was so funny about it though. . . .

How old is your fuel? If stale then replace it.

I don't know how timing could vary through an overheating instance, but timing out of whack would make for difficult starting also.

Next - you say the coil is sparking but suggest you check that spark is getting to each plug ok. Cleaning plugs is a bit 'what if' so consider fitting a new set if all else fails. Just a couple of dud plugs can prevent starting.

I reckon have a chat to the guys that towed you, see if they did something that may be causing the problem. I don't know if coolant could have 'blocked' your air filter but that's another thing to check. Best of luck.

Posted on: 2010/7/20 7:46
 Top  Print   

« 1 (2)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved